Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

TFS 2010 and VS 2012

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lensman

Has anyone else noticed that you cannot find all files checked out to a given user (or all users) under VS 2012?

Under VS 2010, I could right click on the "Team Explorers" tree and select "Find In Source Control" by "status".  In VS 2012 I am limited to changesets, labels, or shelve sets.  I cannot find by status or wildcards like I could under VS 2010.

As I am still pointed to the same TFS server, I would not expect this. If anyone can point to where they moved this feature, please sound off.

• User profile image
    blowdart

, lensman wrote

Has anyone else noticed that you cannot find all files checked out to a given user (or all users) under VS 2012?

Under VS 2010, I could right click on the "Team Explorers" tree and select "Find In Source Control" by "status".  In VS 2012 I am limited to changesets, labels, or shelve sets.  I cannot find by status or wildcards like I could under VS 2010.

As I am still pointed to the same TFS server, I would not expect this. If anyone can point to where they moved this feature, please sound off.

Did you patch 2010? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29082

• User profile image
    lucianoc

@lensman: Check the TFS 2012 Power Tools. It includes that functionality.

• User profile image
    lensman

@blowdart:No, I did not apply that patch.  That patch indicates that it patches TFS 2012 so that VS 2010 clients can connect.  I am trying to connect VS 2012 clients to TFS 2010.

(I have yet to see why I should upgrade to TFS 2012 other than the nice new number)

• User profile image
    lensman

@lucianoc:As I am not using TFS 2012, I did not consider those usable.  I am using TFS 2010 from VS 2012.

• User profile image
    blowdart

, lensman wrote

@blowdart:No, I did not apply that patch.  That patch indicates that it patches TFS 2012 so that VS 2010 clients can connect.  I am trying to connect VS 2012 clients to TFS 2010.

(I have yet to see why I should upgrade to TFS 2012 other than the nice new number)

Oh sorry, my bad!

• User profile image
    warren

Leaving the taskboard and backlog management out of it (which is really the #1 feature, but in order to be effective would require your team to transition to an iteration-based agile process), here are some of the big points for me:

• vastly better web interface (my team actually prefers it to VS itself when it comes to working with work items, partly because of the ability to use a larger font size)
    • local workspaces.  This gives you things like checking out, undo, etc. without being connected to TFS, and files are no longer marked read-only when they aren't checked out to you, and editing files using non-TFS-aware apps works properly.  basically it makes TFS work like Subversion.
    • multiple simultaneous gated check-ins (suuuper useful when you've got a big test suite and need to make sure your code base always has a 100% pass)
    • a new "test adapter" API that makes it possible to run NUnit and other non-Microsoft test runners right in TF Build, and get test run results properly recorded with the rest of the build metadata.  Code coverage results are supported, too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.