Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

VS2012 Upgrade?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • hayrob

Can someone point me to any information on upgrading to VS2012? Is an upgrade from VS2010 going to be available, and if so at what price?

• kettch

@hayrob: You mean upgrade pricing? I'd imagine so, but I haven't looked. I'd check the Visual Studio product page. If you mean an upgrade install, then the standard install is all you need. It installs side-by-side, so you should be good there.

• hayrob

Yes, I did mean upgrade pricing - the Product page is silent! That is why I am getting worried. The price of a new licence is there, but no mention of an upgrade price. Nasty!

• kettch

I get MSDN so, I haven't looked at what the upgrade pricing is in the past. According to a quick search, the old price for VS2010 Pro was $799, and the upgrade price was $549. For VS2012 they dropped the price for Pro to $499, so the starting price for the new version is less than the upgrade price for the old version. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. Maybe the next release they will reset to an upgrade price scheme. Or not, these seem like pretty reasonable prices.

• Vaccano

I a response to comments on this blog post, someone named "James Rice" (who is a Microsoft employee) said:

Yes, we have eliminated the upgrade edition of Visual Studio Professional from our Visual Studio 2012 offerings in order to simplify the product line.  We lowered the estimated retail price for Visual Studio Professional from $799 to $499 to make sure this wouldn't have an impact on customers who have historically purchased the upgrade (which was priced at $549). And of course if you need any platforms for your development projects, the best option is to buy an MSDN subscription which provides you with new versions of Visual Studio and all the included Microsoft platforms as these are released.

• hayrob

@Vaccano: Thanks - I feared that must be the case but I could not find confirmation. I'd better start saving!

• AndyC

To be honest, it's about time they did this. The old pricing system was epically stupid. You were entitled to an upgrade if you had any version of Visual Studio. Including the free Express versions. So the full price was, in effect, a tax on anyone not reading the fine print clearly and a practice I find quite unethical.

That it's now also cheaper than the old upgrade cost I'm going to chalk up as a secondary victory for those of us who've long complained at Microsoft for exploitative pricing practices in the past.

• Vaccano

AndyC Wrote: That it's now also cheaper than the old upgrade cost I'm going to chalk up as a secondary victory for those of us who've long complained at Microsoft for exploitative pricing practices in the past.

I think Microsoft has adjusted the price of their development products to be quite reasonable (excluding the MSDN Ultimate Subscription). 

TFS and Visual Studio are both quite cheap for the value they give.  (However, I don't personally buy them.  My company does.  My perspective may be different if I had to shell out my own cash for them.)

But the express versions are fantastic for a free product.  (now that there is a desktop version)

Now if we could just get the product teams to listen to feedback, Visual Studio would be reasonably priced and awesome too!

• kettch

@Vaccano: How is VS unreasonably priced? I think $499 is a killer deal for VS Pro. I know people in many professions who don't blink at paying $500 for some tool, machine or service that helps them do their job, and they probably have tighter margins than a software developer who doesn't need vehicles, machines (other than a computer), or even pants to do theirs.

• Vaccano

@kettch: Um... I don't think you read my post.

I said that the prices are "quite reasonable".  And that "TFS and Visual Studio are both quite cheap for the value they give".

The only thing I said was too expensive was the MSDN Ultimate Subscription.  At $13,299 per year (list price) it is fairly expensive.

But even that gives a lot of value.  (I know, I have an Ultimate Subscription.)

I think VS Tools have a great price range.  From very reasonable with many features to fairly expensive with tons of features.

One of us is not understanding the other... If it is me, let me know....

• maximation

All good if you are in the USA but in Australia they still want $800AU for it and given our dollar is 1.04 US that is > $830US a mighty rip of of the Australian consumer. I can't even buy on in the US and legaly use it here. 

• Proton2

The Canadian dollar used to be worth around 0.69 USD. It's currently worth 1.0035, which makes US products a lot cheaper for me than they used to be.

• elmer

@maximation:Yes, Australian pricing on MS products, and in particular products like this which are downloaded from the USA, are a total rip-off.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.