Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2017 / team services / Git repositories

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GreyLensman

Am I the only person having problems with Git?  I do not use Git.  I do not wish to use Git.  My employment actually blocks access to Git.  My problem is that my copy of VS 2017 (enterprise) seems to be possessed by Git.  I am finding projects mysteriously getting added to "local Git repositories" instead of the TFS (team services??) provider we use.  I have tried removing all the Git extensions yet I still seem to be possessed by "Git".  Does anyone know of any means of eliminating Git within VS 2017?  

I seem to be getting "unauthorized" access prompts when launching VS 2017 as my system seems to be attempting to authenticate against GIt despite my never entering any Git credentials ever.  To recover I have to completely sign out of everything and reconnect my VS 2017 to microsoft to finally become authorized by TFS and VS 2017.

• User profile image
    cheong

Type "source control" at your quick search bar at the top of your VS IDE, and select the correct plugin.

Also, make sure the project you created in your TFS server does not use "Git" and use "TFVC" instead. (Yes, TFS support both type of repository. It's decided at the step 5 of linked page for creating project in portal, or at step 9 of create project in team explorer at the same page. Unfortunately if you selected the wrong option here because the internal structure for both type of source control is different there is no easy way to change it. You'll need to create a new TFVC project and use this to migrate the check-in history)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TheTraveler

Yes, I have the same issue (have not tested under vs 2017), but as soon as I have opened a GIT repository, VS from that point forward want to do everything using GIT. The only work around I have found is to uninstall GIT and git extensions from Visual Studio, restart vs, then in options --> Source control select TFS. Then in team explorer open your team project, go to source control explorer. If source control explorer loads, you are back in TFS Source Control.

Now I mostly download GIT projects as zip, remove the git mapping from the project files, open the solution on a visual studio in a VM to test that the GIT mappings are gone, if the are, copy the files to my "real" visual studio.

This i a real pain to work with and a very stupid behavior and it truly has made me hate git and everything associated with git. 

• User profile image
    GreyLensman

@cheong:I did not realize you could find  such items from the search bar.  Thank you for the tip.

As to my settings, they already are configured to use TFS server.  I have removed all instances of Git both in extensions and add/remove programs.  Despite this my system remains "possessed" by GIT.   By this I mean that I get a "local repositories" option on the "pending changes" screen.  I still am getting failures to authenticate against TFS where VS 2017 is actually authenticating against GIT instead of TFS.  All this despite the fact that I have never downloaded/uploaded anything to or from Git.

I did notice that VS 2017, despite removing everything Git related, still shows a GIT plugin in my choices of plugins for source code management.  I truly would hate to be forced to use the "ultimate" Microsoft Software recovery tool (aka, FDISK) as my only actual solution.

I would point out that this workstation is the only one so "infected" by GIT.  I have two additional work stations in which I never installed any GIT options during initial install.  Those work stations do not exhibit this "possession".

• User profile image
    figuerres

@cheong:I did not realize you could find  such items from the search bar.  Thank you for the tip.

As to my settings, they already are configured to use TFS server.  I have removed all instances of Git both in extensions and add/remove programs.  Despite this my system remains "possessed" by GIT.   By this I mean that I get a "local repositories" option on the "pending changes" screen.  I still am getting failures to authenticate against TFS where VS 2017 is actually authenticating against GIT instead of TFS.  All this despite the fact that I have never downloaded/uploaded anything to or from Git.

I did notice that VS 2017, despite removing everything Git related, still shows a GIT plugin in my choices of plugins for source code management.  I truly would hate to be forced to use the "ultimate" Microsoft Software recovery tool (aka, FDISK) as my only actual solution.

I would point out that this workstation is the only one so "infected" by GIT.  I have two additional work stations in which I never installed any GIT options during initial install.  Those work stations do not exhibit this "possession".

VS code is really really hot for git, it can barely do tfs with a third party plug in that is missing a lot of the stuff we do in vs.

feels like ms may dump tfs before long....  or at least the source control part of tfs.

• User profile image
    cheong

That's not going to happen as Microsoft cares about paying customers, and lots of major paying customers are like GreyLensman 's company - forbids using Git. That is because Git is decentralized repository and they think it'll allow their staffs "steal" the whole codebase easily so "from security perspective of corporate asset, they won't allow Git".

There are other aspects of Git that could make it undesirable for corporate usage, say it allows users to just commit to local repository without ever committing to the main one. If teams does not merge repository for a long time it'll create a mess that you can't find out which version of code owned by different team is the "real version" (or none of them is, at least on other source code you'll see branch name difference). Lots of these problem can be fixed by well defined corporate procedures, but as we all knows, the execution of procedures often deforms over time.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GreyLensman

I believe I found the source of my Git "possession".  It seems we now have another "useless" feature none of us knew about or asked for.  In your "Extensions and Updates" manager you now also have a "Roaming Extension Manager".

That manager apparently shows you what the cloud has listed as your extensions of choice.  I gather the intent is to provide you with the ability to go from workstation to workstation and know which extensions you had somewhere else but do not have on the current workstation.  Sounds like a nice idea albeit seldom used feature.  In my case I had Git install, at one time, on one or more workstations.  While I had removed it the cloud still recorded the fact I had it installed somewhere.  Until I selected the "stop roaming" option my workstation remained "possessed" by GIT.  Once I finally used the "Stop Roaming" option, confirmed I removed all Git plugins, and restarted VS, my system stopped referring to Git everywhere.

Is it me or do other folks find the available documentation poor to bad at best?  Google is great but finding information about features you do not know exist is somewhat difficult.

• User profile image
    cheong

@GreyLensman: If that is the case, I'll agree it's lame.

When a feature will lock out another frequently used feature, there has to be some warning text in the selection, and it shouldn't be a default setting.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

That's not going to happen as Microsoft cares about paying customers, and lots of major paying customers are like GreyLensman 's company - forbids using Git. That is because Git is decentralized repository and they think it'll allow their staffs "steal" the whole codebase easily so "from security perspective of corporate asset, they won't allow Git".

There are other aspects of Git that could make it undesirable for corporate usage, say it allows users to just commit to local repository without ever committing to the main one. If teams does not merge repository for a long time it'll create a mess that you can't find out which version of code owned by different team is the "real version" (or none of them is, at least on other source code you'll see branch name difference). Lots of these problem can be fixed by well defined corporate procedures, but as we all knows, the execution of procedures often deforms over time.

one thing: i haqve learned to *NEVER* think that microsoft will not do stupid things.

two small examples:

Visio - they killled the database reverse engineering tools that many many DBA's used and loved.

Virtual PC: used to be a product that they sold, then they gave it way and stopped improving it. Now a lot of developers buy VMWare to do what they used to do with Virtual PC.

yes you can make a vm on windows with HyperV  but the UI is lacking a lot of features.

there are other cases of this kind where they build a product with cool tech and then kill it.

in the world of TFS they have GIT repos in TFS  so it's very possible they will tell customers that they can have the TFS security and all but just use git commands....   so they may have a migration path  in the works.....

no that i want that to happen, but it follows a patten to how Microsoft has been doing things.

• User profile image
    cheong

Regarding Visio, seems it's not removed. Just the button is not included in ribbon. Also note that this tool is only included in Professional version or above.

As for VPC... well, Microsoft has a tradition of buying a company and send staffs working there to their new project. The original products are often left with bare minimum staffs to do support, but will stop invest money to enhance it. There are exceptions like the Sysinternals Suite but "stop enhancing products Microsoft didn't start" seems to be the norm.

In this case, TFVC is Microsoft's own product so I don't think this applies to them.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Joshua_​Kincaid

If your developers want to steal code. It doesn't matter whether you GIT, TFS, etc. They will steal it. Locking down access to GITHub is the most idiotic move I have heard of. I can only imagine the crap created there.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Regarding Visio, seems it's not removed. Just the button is not included in ribbon. Also note that this tool is only included in Professional version or above.

As for VPC... well, Microsoft has a tradition of buying a company and send staffs working there to their new project. The original products are often left with bare minimum staffs to do support, but will stop invest money to enhance it. There are exceptions like the Sysinternals Suite but "stop enhancing products Microsoft didn't start" seems to be the norm.

In this case, TFVC is Microsoft's own product so I don't think this applies to them.

??   Visio 2010 ??   i am talking about the current version of vsio not the old ones.

show me where it is in Visio pro 2016 please ?  

• User profile image
    cheong

@figuerres: The web instruction is for Visio 2010 but should applies to Visio 2016 as well. Because AFAIK MS Dynamics AX 2012 still require this function to work. The underlying code must still be there for the latest version of Office.

I'd be really lame if Microsoft choose to not support it's latest version of product.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

@figuerres: The web instruction is for Visio 2010 but should applies to Visio 2016 as well. Because AFAIK MS Dynamics AX 2012 still require this function to work. The underlying code must still be there for the latest version of Office.

I'd be really lame if Microsoft choose to not support it's latest version of product.

well last time i checked in some places where a lot of DBA folks hang out they all said it's gone. also the diagram features have changed a few times, the new diagrams look better but no automation in creating them.

• User profile image
    cheong

I just checked and seems you're right, Microsoft has done the lame thing.  WTF.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

I just checked and seems you're right, Microsoft has done the lame thing.  WTF.

Yep.... we have a lot of good tools from microsoft but if they cripple them down the road then we will have to look elsewhere.

some chart did not show enough users using some features so it got killed off.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.