Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2012: SLOW & BUGGY.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wsdotnet

Just venting here BTW. 

Ever sense i first used VS 4, well VB4 at the time, up until Visual Studio 2010. Things have been getting better, things just work.

But with VS 2012 this thing a joke, its buggy and slow. But i guess that's what happens when a dev team focuses on changing colors and icons instead of working on real features.

Intellisense stops working, auto formatting stops, things that worked before just stop working out of the blue and new things like search stops being clickable.

Maybe its just me but this lately all of Microsoft's major products just feel like there getting worse not better.

• User profile image
    cbae

It's just you.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

@cbae: +1

• User profile image
    contextfree`

@wsdotnet: It's way the hell faster than VS2010 (which was dog slow) or VS2008 (which was equally dog slow), for me. But everyone has a different configuration so I'm not saying your experience isn't real.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

It's not the slow and buggy that bother me, it's the fugly.

But apparently that's just me. I guess I'm out of touch with what the kids think is cool these days.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@JoshRoss:

+1

It crawled initially because it was first time and probably doing a lot of preparation and installing stuff in the background (similar to Office CP). After that, it's been a lot smoother than VS 2010.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, BitFlipper wrote

It's not the slow and buggy that bother me, it's the fugly.

But apparently that's just me. I guess I'm out of touch with what the kids think is cool these days.

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

...VS 2010-like theme is an option.

I personally love the dark theme in VS 2012.

• User profile image
    contextfree`

I like the dark theme too, and I think the UI is definitely an improvement though I also think it still has a long way to go (I never liked the Visual Studio UI)

• User profile image
    Harlequin

No, it's crashed on me as well quite a few times. Blend for Visual Studio is also very sub-par in terms of quality. The new Blend does feel like it was rushed out the door...

• User profile image
    vesuvius

@Harlequin: Windows 8 and Visual studio really do feel rushed out the door, I have less trouble at work on my Windows 7 PC.

This is what you get when you develop software in an Agile manner. Steve Jobs would never have let these products ship. It must be like warfare with all the smart people in Redmond being told to just code to make things work.

• User profile image
    spivonious

@vesuvius: As long as the updates come fast and furious, I'm okay with an Agile approach. What MS absolutely cannot do is sit on VS and Windows 8 for six months before the next update.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

, vesuvius wrote

This is what you get when you develop software in an Agile manner.

Really? That's the methodology that Microsoft used for Windows 8?

Steve Jobs would never have let these products ship.

Keep in mind that the iPhone 5 (and its iOS 6 ilk) was still managed by Jobs (product development cycles are between two and three years). I'm sure he had no input whatsoever on the Maps app.

Well, besides his hate on Google, of course.

Face it, Jobs shipped a lot of crap software. Good one as well, but you can't airbrush history this way.

It must be like warfare with all the smart people in Redmond being told to just code to make things work.

That's what they're told? Seriously, who are your sources?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

, vesuvius wrote

@Harlequin: Windows 8 and Visual studio really do feel rushed out the door, I have less trouble at work on my Windows 7 PC.

This is what you get when you develop software in an Agile manner. Steve Jobs would never have let these products ship. It must be like warfare with all the smart people in Redmond being told to just code to make things work.

Whoa... huh?  Agile doesn't foment bad code. I guess you think it does.

You're the first critic I've heard go negative on Agile Development... I'll start another thread...

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, JohnAskew wrote

Whoa... huh?  Agile doesn't foment bad code. I guess you think it does.

If anything, performance issues and defects usually decrease with an emphasis on TDD in agile dev.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Really? That's the methodology that Microsoft used for Windows 8?

Everything I have heard or seen from Soma, Zander and Brian Harry seem to indicate that they have adopted Agile methodologies. Microsoft have become quite secretive in a the last couple of years, so it is hard to be sure

Keep in mind that the iPhone 5 (and its iOS 6 ilk) was still managed by Jobs (product development cycles are between two and three years). I'm sure he had no input whatsoever on the Maps app.

Well, besides his hate on Google, of course.

Face it, Jobs shipped a lot of crap software. Good one as well, but you can't airbrush history this way.

The maps app was huge news, making the headlines, because in general the iPhone and IPad have been quite good whenever new versions come out. Yes Apple have shipped crap, but when they get things wrong, it's on the front page. I say this because I was discussing Windows 8 with an absolute Apple fanboi I work with today, I told him that Windows 8 presents a much needed improvement in software, I just think he would pick out too many bugs at present, so it would be best to wait for at least a service pack.

I do see the real value of Agile development (I have been agile for the last few years), especially if its my money being spent, but in releases prior to you leaving Microsoft, people almost dared you to find a bug, I don't get that feeling anymore, and just feel that I need to check for updates more. In some ways Microsoft used to produce beautiful operating systems and IDE's that had a few huge security holes in them, now their OS's are secure almost by default, and the holes are in trying to do more with the same or less staff levels.

• User profile image
    jh71283

, Harlequin wrote

No, it's crashed on me as well quite a few times. Blend for Visual Studio is also very sub-par in terms of quality. The new Blend does feel like it was rushed out the door...

I think the whole Blend situation is laughable in any case. 

It's now 11 months since Silverlight 5 shipped, and yet there is still no official version of Blend to support it; only previews.

• User profile image
    YourGod

I have used Visual Studio 6, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010 and 2012 (of course on different machines I have owned so far), but I feel like Visual Studio 2012 is slower than 2010. Especially when it comes to start up time and the XAML UI designer loading.

And I do agree that it looks ugly. The whol Metro thing is ruining Microsoft. I also use Office 2013 Preview, and its Metro sucks too. Everything became flat (I like 3D shapes, because they are more realistic and distinguishable) and rectangular... Why force Metro to every product?

I think Aero on Windows 7 looks far more attractive than the flat Windows 8's chrome. When Microsoft announced Windows 7, I  actually thought it looked better than OS X (I use OS X). Now with Windows 8?... It just looks like a failed iOS. Could it be possible that somehow Microsoft throws the whole Metro thing away, and goes back to the Windows 7's style?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@YourGod:

I missed Areo too. I have a very good gaming machine desktop and yet I am forced to use less fancy theme. I mean, why not just keep Areo, it is already done several years ago.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.