Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

Visual Studio 2012: SLOW & BUGGY.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • spivonious

, jh71283 wrote

*snip*

I think the whole Blend situation is laughable in any case. 

It's now 11 months since Silverlight 5 shipped, and yet there is still no official version of Blend to support it; only previews.

That's probably because Silverlight is dead.

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

, YourGod wrote

*snip*

but I feel like Visual Studio 2012 is slower than 2010. Especially when it comes to start up time and the XAML UI designer loading.

This was my biggest complaint of VS 2010. It seems like every version the designers get slower and slower. I guess Microsoft just doesn't care; maybe they suffer from "Real programmers don't use designers" mentality. If anything they are useful as a preview without having to launch the app. Not looking forward to moving to VS 2012...

• urzza

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop.

It crashes several times a day.. when it has a bad day (like today), it crashes almost every 20 minutes or so. It is sometimes slow down, sometimes freezes while searching properties, sometimes doesnt show intellisense help.. xaml renderer window sometimes does not render the content.. it is hell to use.

I am considering to go back to VS2010.

• hichem​Sharaeen

@wsdotnet: I think you're right I'am quite disappointed. It's too buggy especially when opening VS2010 big project on VS2012.It stucks at anytime. 

• Retro​Recursion

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

*snip*

This was my biggest complaint of VS 2010. It seems like every version the designers get slower and slower.

Agreed. For several of our WinForms projects, we still use VS2008 because the tooling and IDE are much more productive. We'll use VS2012 with ASP.NET applications, but often times have to revert back to VS2010 because something in the VS2012 editor is not working right.

Also not a fan of the washed out looking UI in VS2012. I know they want us to be able to "focus on our content", but I also want to be able to focus on the IDE's tools. I've never had a problem focusing on my content in past releases of Visual Studio. It's strange to me that they thought changing most of the icons to black and white glyphs would improve productivity.

• massdriver

VS2012 is slow for me, but that is because of the TFS Integration.  Something about the new Team Explorer is blocking VS2012 from coming up.

For example, I waited 1 minute after trying to open my project in VS2012, then opened the same project in VS2010.  VS2010 came up first, I made my changes, while still waiting for VS2012 to open up.  Since my VS2010 comes up with Team Explorer visible, once that was available in VS2010, I saw both VS2010 Team Explorer and VS2012 UI flicker at the same moment.  Then VS2012 started on the project.

• Ion Todirel

, wsdotnet wrote

Just venting here BTW. 

Ever sense i first used VS 4, well VB4 at the time, up until Visual Studio 2010. Things have been getting better, things just work.

But with VS 2012 this thing a joke, its buggy and slow. But i guess that's what happens when a dev team focuses on changing colors and icons instead of working on real features.

Intellisense stops working, auto formatting stops, things that worked before just stop working out of the blue and new things like search stops being clickable.

Maybe its just me but this lately all of Microsoft's major products just feel like there getting worse not better.

It's kind of difficult to devise any actionable plans with something as generic as that, clearly everything isn't broken. Is there anything I can do on my end to experience the behaviors you're seeing? Which language and editor is it? What stops working? It would help a lot with a set of minimal reproducible steps, Connect is also a great place to leave feedback or bugs.

• androidi

Well I have to agree with the sentiments. I'm trying 2012 more seriously the first time and there are some very subtle differences when writing and editing the code. They are so subtle I don't really notice them well enough to remember, I just get a feeling "this was slightly better/easier in 2008". The most noticeable and annoying difference is that 2012 is just very very slow when I press compile+run (f5) a c# console application. I'd say it's about 5-10 times slower than 2008.

My coding is essentially writing a line or two, f5, modify the line, f5 etc. So if pressing F5 to get the results of this iterative cycle takes much longer, that's easy to notice. I'm not saying that I do F5 so much that it really matters in time spent but when taking time from the moment you have made a change and then want to see the result, and only count that time, over the period of getting an app finished with this style, the comparative difference to VS2008 is massive.

In order to find the more subtle differences when editing, since I don't really remember every subtle difference, one would really need to capture the keystrokes and stuff while editing and compare them side by side on a video to 2008. I recall there were some annoying things in 2008 as well but now it's just more annoying rather than if the 2008 annoyances were improved.

Perhaps the most annoying code editing thing to me is when in C#, I make some edit and the editor doesn't make sure that the code is indented properly, so I feel as if great deal of editing time is spent shuffling code around with copy paste and TAB in order to get the editor to indent it properly, or just have to go and do select and format to get it formatted as otherwise.

eg. lets say I have a block like this

if (true)

{

if (true)

{

}

}

When the cursor is at *, it should *always* be correctly indented, and editor should not allow the cursor to go to the indent level of previous block or the left edge, unless I press # to create a #define or // or /*. So only key press of # or / would cause the cursor to go to left border where I could then manually with single TAB press (automatically add enough tab to match the block indent level) make it go to the correct indentation (position of { + 1 tab).

edit: I just checked this to make sure- it appears that if the mouse click is on left of the correct indent, the cursor will go to left edge and doing a ; will move the text to correct indent level.

• androidi

editing annoyance Addendum:

I verified what I was talking about above - it seems the problem is more subtle:

Annoyance #1:

It just throws me off into "distracted by wrong indentation" state when it's possible that if I don't happen to click mouse right of the correct indent level, it can go to the left most position (as if you pressed Home)

Annoyance #2:

When editing correctly indented code:

if (true)
    {*
        if(false)
        {
        }
    }

if my cursor is at the * location or left of it, then I press down-key to go edit the code at the if(false) block, the cursor does not automatically shift right to the correct indent level!

• androidi

I tried converting a 2010 C++ STL practise project with code from the Channel 9 STL videos into 2012 project and 2012 gave couple errors:

First I had to comment #include <initializer_list> from stdafx (though maybe this was not necessary even in 2010)

Then I'm getting this error in Errors tab:

2 IntelliSense: more than one conversion function from "lambda []void (std::pair<const int, std::string> &x)->void" to "<error-type>" applies:
                function "lambda []void (std::pair<const int, std::string> &x)->void::operator void (*)(std::pair<const int, std::string> &x)() const"
                function "lambda []void (std::pair<const int, std::string> &x)->void::operator void (*)(std::pair<const int, std::string> &x)() const"

(notice, three times the exact same line, and I have no idea what is wrong based on that message)

Yet, in Output tab, no errors or warning:

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Code giving this is:

unordered_map<int, string> m;

for_each(begin(m),end(m), [](decltype(*begin(m)) x) {

});  

When I comment or uncomment that for_each loop, the error goes away or comes back within about 1 second. This sort of "lagged surprise response" is kinda annoying but I don't think there's much you can do about it if you have to background compile things to see if there's any error. 

I'd like a modern C++ & C# replacement that's more like C# in syntax & libraries but with C's native abilities and no JIT compile option and no header files and can link direct with C & C++ libs without interop work/wrappers and such. It would be nice also to have super high performance in-process permanent storage (with failure resiliency & continous runtime versioned remote backup ability) in it, I mean, the highest perf that is theoretically possible. I read that in 80's there were some proprietary languages with such things and banks still use them because they just have got faster and faster with new processors since they performed good enough in 80's.

And of course easy way to modify the running code without stopping it entirely (I mean, modify/create methods during execution and only suspend execution for milliseconds to add the compiled modifications back into native code at runtime) . I re-checked, and the language with these capabilities was mumps, created in 60's but became common in healthcare/finance later.

• androidi

So yes.. I want a native language w/ C#  { } syntax LINQ etc with C's native and MUMPS capabilities. Especially that modify natively compiled code at runtime without pausing execution and permanent storage and fault resiliency.

That's what's missing from next VS!

• Ion Todirel

@androidi: The C++ code compiles just fine for me. I am using Dev11. Do you have a link to the whole project? Note that x is a std::pair<int, string>, it almost seems that you are using x as something else. Hard to say just based on that output, and without fully seeing the whole code.

• Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• Harlock123n​ew

@wsdotnet:

I noted and reported a specific scenario where Intellisense just gives up the ghost. Don't know if it might be affecting you. It seems that if the namespace arrangement of your project does not necessarily mirror the folder arrangement of the files themselves, Intellisense gets a bit wonky at least in those files that are in the folders where the namespace does not match...

Of course it compiles fine and did not have that issue in VS2010....

In my case the issue arises because initially the project was all in a flat namespace with all the files in a single place. As its grown some things were moved into folders to keep sanity. The namespace was kept flat just because of ease. Now however on those source components and classes in the affected files (an all their references and uses everywhere else) we have to make the namespace adjustments to mirror folder arrangement, to get Intellisense to work properly with these items...PITA....

• mhellem

I just did a VS 2012 reinstall for Silverlight work. This time I left Blend, LightSwitch, Foundation Classes for C++, Office Dev Tools, & SharePoint Dev Tools off and now the xaml designer works great! A little slow on first load still but otherwise everything is quick and responsive and all of the MANY issues are gone.

The funny thing is, Blend is still actually installed. I thought Blend was required for xaml work but decided to try leaving it out anyway because these xaml issues are such a major problem. Now if  run change programs on VS 2012, Blend is checked - I uncheck it, it appears to uninstall, but it remains installed.

Maybe LightSwitch is the culprit? I tried it in VS 2010 and it was unusable slow so I never used it but left it installed and I always had issues with xaml designer in 2010 too.

• OrigamiCar

, Harlock123n​ew wrote

@wsdotnet:

I noted and reported a specific scenario where Intellisense just gives up the ghost. Don't know if it might be affecting you. It seems that if the namespace arrangement of your project does not necessarily mirror the folder arrangement of the files themselves, Intellisense gets a bit wonky at least in those files that are in the folders where the namespace does not match...

Of course it compiles fine and did not have that issue in VS2010...

I think intellisense in VS 2012 is just very flaky generally in ways that it never was in 2010.

My whole team has moved over to 2012 and on the whole are very happy with it (except the new TFS window - whoever decided that combining all the TFS stuff into one panel that you constantly have to switch context of and also change the 'pending check in files' view from using checkboxes to having to drag between 'included changes' and 'excluded changes' needs beating with a long 2 x 4!). The amount of extra work and mistakes my team have made using this is very annoying.

Adding more memory to our PC's definitely helped with some early perf issues and we've moved to SSD's now to really make it fly.

But, intellisense is one area that needs work. It constantly just stops working - 2 or 3 times a day for most of us. Sometimes closing the source code file and reloading it helps, but most times it's a full restart of Visual Studio. We have noticed various scenarios that can induce this, most of which involve having syntax errors in your code - my guess is that there's some unhandled errors going on in the Intellisense functionality for certain scenarios that just crashes or disables intellisense, but that's just a guess. It may be a coincidence, but things seem to have become better since update 1, but it does still happen daily.

I'm sure Microsoft will get it fixed, but it's annoying nonetheless.

• BitFlipper

I once read that turning off IntelliTrace can speed things up.

EDIT: And while we are complaining about VS... When will MS fix VS so Debugger Visualizers work with Windows Phone development? The argument that debugger visualizers require a different security model is bogus when you realize the debugger has access to all the same objects and data that the debugger visualizer is trying to display. Just saying...

• chickensoup

I am really disappointed with the design team for Visual Studio 2012 too. Are they retards that didn't do a proper research for VS2012 UI? All the icons are the same, I can't recognize which buttons to click & the text are all the same, in uppercase?

And that's not the worst story, every 1 minute or so, it starts saying "parsing the solution" or "update intellisense & browsing..." then the whole program hang for a while... how can we work with such a half-baked product like this?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.