Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2012: SLOW & BUGGY.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    kettch

@chickensoup: You have something else going on. I have it running on some crusty old machines, as well as my production machine, and I don't have any of those performance issues. We've been using it in production since beta, and there haven't been any issues like that.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

, chickensoup wrote

And that's not the worst story, every 1 minute or so, it starts saying "parsing the solution" or "update intellisense & browsing..." then the whole program hang for a while... how can we work with such a half-baked product like this?

If you are using DevExpress it may be their Unit Test Runner bits causing the slowdown. Disabling it seems to fix the problem. I'd look at any other extensions you have installed to see if they may be contributing. 

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Yup - what both Death and Ketch said. We've had similar issues using some of the Telerik code refactoring tools.
    Uninstalling these tools sorted out the issue, but we used them quite extensively, so we tried adding more memory and upgrading to SSD's and that also sorted it out - at least for us.

• User profile image
    kevpoint

I'm inclined to agree with the original post. (minus the VS '2002' - 2005 ?)

The new UIs are not easy on the eyes and cause a drop in productivity, and just because you don't experience a full on Blue Screen or AppCrash doesn't men things have gotten better.

The negatives far outway the positives, just search the web for VS feedback or read social.microsoft.com posts, or worse the connect.microsoft.com feedback that MS ignores.

• User profile image
    arnoldSmith

Hi All. I am experiencing the same problems with VS 2012 responsiveness. It's a big hit in productivity watching VS 'think' before I can safely type again. I'm also seriously weary of comments that sum to: Hey, it must be your fault.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

do you have any add-ons installed? 

• User profile image
    PopeDai

, arnoldSmith wrote

Hi All. I am experiencing the same problems with VS 2012 responsiveness. It's a big hit in productivity watching VS 'think' before I can safely type again. I'm also seriously weary of comments that sum to: Hey, it must be your fault.

I had a meeting with one of the senior PMs of VS's user-experience this week, we're due to have another, larger,  meeting to discuss all of the little issues that, in our esteemed opinions, plague VS 2012 - I will raise these points. I'm with the "VS2012 haters" camp, honestly Smiley

However, remember that while Windows' system requirements haven't been raised since Windows Vista (to increase Windows' installbase size) Visual Studio's has, and you can't really blame them for following Moore's Law. However VS2012 does run adequately on my older machines, even a 2006 ThinkPad X60 with a Yonah Core Duo - they key thing is RAM - just throw lots of memory at the problem and things will improve. I really recommend at least 8GB of RAM if you're running 2012, even if it still does run as a 32-bit process.

• User profile image
    arnoldSmith

Hi Again. As luck would have it, VS 2012 displayed the following error message:

Access to the path'C:\Program Files (X86)\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT\EXTENSIONMANAGER\EXTENSIONS\Microsoft\Windows Kits\8.0\Desktop SDK' is denied.

Ownership had not been assigned. When I assigned ownereship to the administrators group, of which I am a member, VS performance improved 500%.

I hope this information helps someone else.

• User profile image
    Silverlight​WpfXAML

Its fast and responsive for me ... it does slow down when I load up buggy plugins and extensions .. The VSGIT extension recently caused it to perform like a dog! Removed it an hour later, was crazy slow!

• User profile image
    MarkStega

I too have the issues with Intellisense failing (and I don't have a directory/namespace mismatch). I currently have a project underway where it seems that half of the cs files have no intellisense. As for the xaml designer, I'd say it is the worst performer and frequently crashes.

Just venting.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

I assumed it was creating a dump file or something but the processor spikes well before I get the process terminated error

The dump file is taken before the process is torn down. Otherwise all of the memory and thread contexts and so on that you probably want to put in the dump file will have gone before you've started creating the crashdump.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

I have a test application written in C# that runs various tests on out C API. Up until now I have been using VS 2010 and when doing mixed-mode debugging, VS often hangs. If you search around, you can find people running into this issue.

So I decided to try VS 2012 (with Update 2 installed) and opened the project. It didn't import the Setup project since it seems MS removed the MSI installer and now there is only InstallShield Limited Edition as a setup project type. Well, not a big deal, I can create a new installer later, it is only an internal test application after all.

So when I try to do mixed debugging, things are even more unstable. Of the 20 or so times I started debugging the application, I believe I was only able to not have VS hang once. When it hangs, I have to end-task the test app, after which VS comes back. But then if I start debugging again, it starts the test app but then says it can't start it. The test app then needs to be end-tasked again. To get VS to be able to debug the app again, I have to exit VS, delete the *.suo file and restart VS. Only then will it successfully start the application, ready to hang as soon as I dare debug unmanaged code.

Eventually I was able to figure out that if I go to Options > Debugging > General and uncheck "Managed C++ Compatibility Mode", I can successfully debug mixed-mode code. However, my application starts about 5 times slower than with the option enabled (test app takes 32 seconds to start up vs 6 seconds) . I guess it is still better than not being able to debug at all.

Supposedly when you uncheck the option, it enables a new mixed-mode debugger that is supposedly more stable, and supposedly faster, which it clearly isn't in my case.

Managed C++ Compatibility Mode enabled means Visual Studio will use the legacy debug engine for mixed mode debugging of Classic Apps (not Windows Store Apps).  In general, the new debug engine tends to be faster and more stable.  The drawback to using it is inspection for C++/CLI variables will be degraded when mixed mode debugging.  This is why Managed C++ Compatibility Mode is checked by default.
    If you find it works better for you and you don't really care about C++/CLI variable inspection, go ahead and uncheck it.  My personal preference for my own debugging is to uncheck it.

Well I guess the good news is now I can debug mixed-mode. The bad news it is now 5 times slower. You win some, you lose some.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

So I tried to create the Setup project using InstallShield Crippled Edition (since MS ripped out the previous Setup project type). First you have to go to Flexera's website, give them all your info and then wait for them to email you an activation code.

Once you go through the install process, you can select it as project in VS. There is a confusing wizard that has 85% of its functionality disabled, telling you how you need to pay for the Express, Professional or Premiere if you want to do anything.

Next I tried to go through the wizard steps as best I can, but still ended up with about 5 compiler errors. Had to Google each one of them to figure out what it is supposed to mean and how to fix it. The last one basically told me InstallShield is too stupid to know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit and I have to create a unique setup project for each. Unbelievable. Oh, and the Crippled Edition isn't smart enough to detect dependencies - you have to go and select them manually (C++ Runtimes, .Net versions etc for both 32-bit and 64-bit).

Wow, so after my company paid a crapload for my MSDN subscription you still need to pay more to do what used to be free/easy previously? It used to take me no more than 5 minutes to create a Setup project - now I have to fight with a crippled install project that has so many features disabled that it is essentially worthless. Yes the MSI installer was clunky but still pretty powerful.

I really wonder what is happening to MS. They used to go out of their way to create awesome dev tools. I just don't see that any more.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

I'm not the only one that feels this way, see here and here...

• User profile image
    exoteric

I definitely agree on your comments about the installer, BitFlipper. However there is a much nicer free installer available called Advanced Installer.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

It gets better. The last remaining error I get with InstallShield Limited Edition is:

-5008: Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified in the template of the Summary Stream

After spending time trying to figure out what it means from the Flexera online help, I got to the conclusion they don't have any help for the Limited Edition version since the steps they describe to resolve the issue is impossible to follow in the version I have. More searching around the web indicates that the area where you are supposed to make this change is DISABLED IN THE LIMITED EDITION.

Is this a joke? This is absolutely unacceptable after MS supplied a perfectly functional installer up until VS 2010. Think about it: They actually had to PAY someone to complete the following task: "Remove the Visual Studio Installer Template. Replace with shovelware".

I'll take a look at Advanced Installer but a quick look at it shows it also has a free and paid versions. That is usually a red flag that you won't get a functional product for free, but I refuse to pay for this functionality after a huge amount of money was already paid for my MSDN subscription.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.