Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Visual Studio 2013

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • vesuvius

Yes it will be out just about a year after Visual Studio 2012.

No announcements from the C# Team or whether TypeScript will be a part of Visual Studio? What of Roslyn and the usual announcements for Client and Web based development stacks like WPF or ASP.NET? I feel things have changed direction at Microsoft in the last few months, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

• c_str

Well clearly since they didn't mention anything about API's or languages there being dropped.  Instead visual studio developers will use either smudges on there screen, or interpretive dance* to develop applications 

*Kinect required.

• DeathBy​VisualStudio

The acquisition of InCycle's InRelease sounds interesting. Anyone using now?

• figuerres

, c_str wrote

Well clearly since they didn't mention anything about API's or languages there being dropped.  Instead visual studio developers will use either smudges on there screen, or interpretive dance* to develop applications 

*Kinect required.

Hmmm, new way to develop apps for deeper levels of user interaction ?   new gestures to help us code multi threaded and multi core apps ?

• Michael Butler

, vesuvius wrote

No announcements from the C# Team or whether TypeScript will be a part of Visual Studio? What of Roslyn and the usual announcements for Client and Web based development stacks like WPF or ASP.NET? I feel things have changed direction at Microsoft in the last few months, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

They are saving the good stuff for BUILD. Although all the new TFS stuff has got me excited. (I'm a strange sort of geek Wink )

• exoteric

, vesuvius wrote

The lack of news is not an indication of a change of direction. But sure, the only constant is change, to quote a cliche.

There's already a VS plug-in for TypeScript, so that's kind of a non-issue.

Roslyn must be a large undertaking and besides large language infrastructure developments, the development team also has to catch up with the latest C# and VB language developments, so patience is in order here.

Besides Roslyn, we know of a spin-off version of C# being used in an incubation project which appears to have significant scale - but is still under wraps. This might be a "change of direction" when or if it materializes, in terms of new API's using new language features. One wonders if this language is also bootstrapped and has a compiler written in itself a la Roslyn.

Some form of NIITL (Not Invented In This Language) is inevitable and probably even desirable insofar as the language has features that provide desirable properties.

• cbae

@exoteric: I hope they add F# support to Roslyn. That'd be kind of an awesome way to learn a new language.

• felix9

If Visual Studio 2013 only targets .NET 4.5.1 which comes with Windows 8.1, then its should not be very interesting wrt .NET side, unless we can get a sneak peek at .NET v.Next.

I still remember this twitter

But at least on the C++ side we'll get Milan which should be awesome.

• PopeDai

, felix9 wrote

If Visual Studio 2013 only targets .NET 4.5.1 which comes with Windows 8.1, then its should not be very interesting wrt .NET side, unless we can get a sneak peek at .NET v.Next.

Visual Studio has been providing great backwards-compatibility support for the mainstream .NET framework (apologies to the Compact Framework) from the start. VS2013 is designed such that you won't need VS2012, 2010, 2008, or 2005 on your computer. And it's even better as now you can open older projects and solutions without needing to 'upgrade' the solution and project files.

VS2010 was nice because it was also version 10.0 of VS. It's going to get confusing soon because VS2012 is version 11 and VS2013 is version 12 (and not 11.1 or 11.5 as was the case with VS2003's 7.1 compared to VS2002's 7.0). So when people say "VS12" I will have no idea if they're referring to VS2012 or VS2013.

• felix9

@PopeDai: OK. for the word 'only', I actually meant 'max'. Blushing I know it supports old versions but that's not a reason for excitements.

• figuerres

, PopeDai wrote

*snip*

Visual Studio has been providing great backwards-compatibility support for the mainstream .NET framework (apologies to the Compact Framework) from the start. VS2013 is designed such that you won't need VS2012, 2010, 2008, or 2005 on your computer. And it's even better as now you can open older projects and solutions without needing to 'upgrade' the solution and project files.

VS2010 was nice because it was also version 10.0 of VS. It's going to get confusing soon because VS2012 is version 11 and VS2013 is version 12 (and not 11.1 or 11.5 as was the case with VS2003's 7.1 compared to VS2002's 7.0). So when people say "VS12" I will have no idea if they're referring to VS2012 or VS2013.

I wonder if they will fix the sql server reporting services issues ?

in VS 2010 you can not load the sql RS client controls into the ide for any of the prior versions of sqlrs and the client control for vs2010 will not run reports from older versions of the report servers.

so to build a winforms or wpf app that opens the old servers reports you have to build dll project in VS 2008 save it and then add it to a VS 2010 solution and never open the form you put in the dll project ....  yes this is true I had to do that just to open reports for a client.

• Blue Ink

, PopeDai wrote

*snip*

... It's going to get confusing soon because VS2012 is version 11 and VS2013 is version 12 (and not 11.1 or 11.5 as was the case with VS2003's 7.1 compared to VS2002's 7.0). So when people say "VS12" I will have no idea if they're referring to VS2012 or VS2013.

If they follow the Office scheme, things will fall back in place with VS2014 Smiley

• spivonious

I'm hoping they just drop the version altogether and simply release "Visual Studio". Free monthly/quarterly updates with MSDN subscription, otherwise you're stuck with security updates only.

• mstefanik

, spivonious wrote

I'm hoping they just drop the version altogether and simply release "Visual Studio". Free monthly/quarterly updates with MSDN subscription, otherwise you're stuck with security updates only.

As long as they maintain backwards compatibility and don't require changes to the minimum platform spec with each new annual release (e.g.: Visual Studio 2010 dropping support for Windows 2000, Visual Studio 2012 dropping support for Windows XP, etc.)

• PopeDai

, spivonious wrote

Sssshhhh, don't give them ideas!

(I'm personally not a fan of software subscriptions)

• exoteric

, cbae wrote

@exoteric: I hope they add F# support to Roslyn. That'd be kind of an awesome way to learn a new language.

I believe the free and open-source F# compiler tools are already written in F#.

Also, check this out http://tsunami.io

• Proton2

I had a annual subscription to Visual Studio (name may have been something else, Visual C++), but it didn't even last for one year and I got a rebate for the months remaining. Around 1995 or so.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.