Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2013 Preview is coming soon

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    felix9

so Dev12=Visual Studio 2013, at least for now Smiley

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Just what I want, another half baked visual studio. Well, the optimistic side of me thinks that it might be 3/4 baked... with more colors... and less CAPSLOCK.

-Josh

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, Jsoh wrote

Well, the optimistic side of me thinks that it might be 3/4 baked... with more colors... and less CAPSLOCK.

It'll probably look the same. Rumor has it that they're adding reactive coffee dispense extensions in this release.

• User profile image
    kettch

Coming so soon after 2012, this could be the WinRT equivalent of what happened between .NET 1.0 and 1.1.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

I hope that it follows the every-other-VS-release-is-good principle. If that's the case then I may migrate over from VS2010.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

I hope that it follows the every-other-VS-release-is-good principle. If that's the case then I may migrate over from VS2010.

Are you saying that you skipped Visual Studio 2008?

• User profile image
    felix9

@DeathByVisualStudio: IMHO, every SP1 version of VS is good, and hopefully VS2013 is more like VS2012 SP1, or Update 4.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

@felix9: It seems to me that there was a lot of re-architecting performed between 2010 and 2012. I would be shocked if this was anything more than a rebranded service pack. For the most part, I really like VS2012.

-Josh

• User profile image
    felix9

Hmmm... at least we will get Milan. Smiley

When Herb Sutter said 'first half of 2013', he actually meant End of June, oh well Tongue Out

https://twitter.com/herbsutter/status/316630924244709376

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

, cbae wrote

*snip*

Are you saying that you skipped Visual Studio 2008?

I wish I had... VS2008 is the primary reason I am DBVS.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

*snip*

I wish I had... VS2008 is the primary reason I am DBVS.

But your prior avatar was a little dude carrying a VS2010 box not a VS2008 box, IIRC.

Personally, I can't recall that VS2008 ran any slower than VS2005 or VS2010. The only thing I remember is that I was pretty pissed when they removed the MDI option in VS2010.

• User profile image
    elmer

I know that MS has a long history of apparently random product version numbers and names (who can forget the first version of Windows-NT being V3.1) but this business of using years to indicate versions is just so stupid.

• User profile image
    contextfree`

Huh, why? Seems to make a lot of sense to me - in keeping track of product release histories I have to both know the version number and associate it with when it was released, but if the date is just used to indicate the version I only have to remember one thing.

• User profile image
    Proton2

, elmer wrote

I know that MS has a long history of apparently random product version numbers and names (who can forget the first version of Windows-NT being V3.1) but this business of using years to indicate versions is just so stupid.

I was developing for NT in the early days of the product and when the new interface came out for the non NT version of Windows, code named Chicago, NT did not have the new features. The numbering scheme was matching the versions of the other Windows products so that when 3.5 came out, the UI matched the regular Windows that also had the same underlying number scheme.  Or something like that. I did not like being on the bleeding edge of technology. So unproductive. Don't get me wrong though, I knew it was the future so I stuck with it. 

I'll tell you about my days trying to figure out TFS during its beta phase some other day. Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I hope we're going to see some additional C++11 language features. Smiley

• User profile image
    cheong

@Jsoh:Yeah. I wish the IDE stop shouting at me.

Please stop developing eye strain to us, we have lots of code to read already.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Harlock123n​ew

Come on now... Every time I read a thread about VS2012 the first complaint people have is the CAPS nonsense... If you don't like that and are using the thing there are half a dozen ways to make that problem for you disappear. That you have to make that problem disappear is an issue I'll agree but its quite old now... As my parents used to say "You are sounding like a broken record"

Personally We switched all our major dev projects over to 2012 and have never looked back. Now if they could just fix some of the Intellisense oddities in the new version I will be a happy camper...

• User profile image
    Bas

I wonder if I'm not at all as easily distracted as I always thought I was, because the all caps menus bothered me for maybe a day, and now all I see is code.

Plus still complaining about it now seems weird, since it takes one registry key to change.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.