Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2015 RTM on MSDN

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    PeterF

Get it while it's fresh :)

• User profile image
    GreyLensman

I managed to suck all the stuff to a local share.  

Now the great debate.  Nuke everything and do a fresh install or try a upgrade?  Anyone have any suggestions?  I am tired of having portions of VS 2008, 2010, 2013 all lingering around.

What are you going to do?

• User profile image
    PeterF

I'm quite conservative and only uninstall an old release when all project can build, execute and can be maintained with a newer release ;) harddisk space doesn't cost as much as trying to re-create an uninstalled but working development environment.

• User profile image
    kettch

, PeterF wrote

I'm quite conservative and only uninstall an old release when all project can build, execute and can be maintained with a newer release ;) harddisk space doesn't cost as much as trying to re-create an uninstalled but working development environment.

It's hard to impress upon people the value of a properly aged developer environment. I've gone toe-to-toe with our desktop people on various occasions. Burn it and reimage is fine for standard users, but that's an absolute last resort for me. Especially when one of their weird "we can do better than group policy" scripts is the problem.

• User profile image
    cbae

It seems to install right on top of RC. I remember when RTM builds used to require uninstalling of RC builds.

• User profile image
    Proton2

, cbae wrote

It seems to install right on top of RC. I remember when RTM builds used to require uninstalling of RC builds.

And the first beta required uninstalling all versions of Visual Studio first.

• User profile image
    kettch

, Proton2 wrote

*snip*And the first beta required uninstalling all versions of Visual Studio first.

There were also the builds that only shipped in a VM because they couldn't actually be installed.

• User profile image
    elmer

, cbae wrote

It did for me, but a number of my add-ins that were working with RC were no longer working after the install. So far, reinstalling them seems to have worked, but I'm wondering what other settings may have changed.

• User profile image
    kettch

I just got a chance to log into MSDN to download it. There appears to be an x64 build now. The VS team has had very specific concerns about doing that in the past. Has anyone seen anything published that details what went into finally doing it?

• User profile image
    Jim Young

, cbae wrote

Not for me. It forced me to uninstall RC first.

• User profile image
    Jim Young

, kettch wrote

I just got a chance to log into MSDN to download it. There appears to be an x64 build now. The VS team has had very specific concerns about doing that in the past. Has anyone seen anything published that details what went into finally doing it?

Maybe this will allow one to do XAML design when the project configuration is x64. It always bugged me that I had to revert back the x32 in order to use the XAML designer. I mostly do my XAML design in the code window but it is nice to see the results in the design view.

• User profile image
    cheong

@kettch: I persume the CodeLens feature can take lots of memory. If it runs as in-proc additions, it can justify the need for more address space.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    felix9

, kettch wrote

oh ??? I can't see an x64 build of it. are you talking about the x86-x64 in iso filename ? I'm not sure what that means actually, but it doesn't seems like a x64 editon is there.

• User profile image
    cheong

@felix9: I have this in MSDN download page:

Visual Studio Professional 2015 (x86 and x64) - DVD (English)

I suppose the ISO image actually is also install disc for both version.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    felix9

@cheong: I downloaded the iso files from visualstudio.com, they are the same files as on MSDN according to thos sha1 checksums, and no, I can't see there is a x64 version in there.

• User profile image
    cheong

@felix9: I mean when you install, it'll probably ask you which version do you want to install like Vista/Win7 install disc.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    spivonious

Disappointed that Intellitest isn't in the Professional SKU, but I can't say I'm surprised.

• User profile image
    kettch

@felix9: It's an odd choice of naming. If you look at the history of VS ISOs they've always used x86, but never x64.

For example:

2012 - en_visual_studio_premium_2012_x86_dvd_920758

2013 - en_visual_studio_premium_2013_x86_dvd_3009258

2015 - en_visual_studio_enterprise_2015_x86_x64_dvd_6850497

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.