Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Bug?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Proton2

    I open up a 2010 solution with 2013 Express, create a new project of type unit tests within the 2010 solution, but the tests can't run.

    I create a new project of type unit tests (for Windows Store in all these scenarios), save the project, open the 2010 solution, add existing project which is the one I just created, and all is well, the tests run. A possible bug with a work around at least, or am I doing something wrong?

    Note: 2010 solution created with 2010 Pro.

    Update: Hold on a minute, now it seems to work, a day later, I will have to do some further investigating. Maybe I needed to reboot, or possibly having the project open in 2010 at the same time caused a problem.

  • User profile image
    Proton2

    If your wondering what I'm doing; I'm trying to keep as much code as I can the same between two platforms, Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Store 8.1.

    So far two problems:

    if (this.GetType().GetProperties().Any(propertyInfo => propertyInfo.Name.Equals(propertyName)))

    GetProperties() doesn't exist in NETFX_CORE

    Note: NETFX_CORE = Windows Store.

    I'm adding files as links in the Windows Store projects.

    2)

    Code snippet:

    [TestMethod]

    [ExpectedException(typeof(VerifyPropertyNameException))]

    public void VerifyPropertyNameMethod_NonExistentPropertyString_ThrowsException()

    ...

    The attribute ExpectedException for my unit test doesn't seem to exist either for NETFX_CORE 

     

     

     

  • User profile image
    Proton2

    I have discovered what caused the bug. I accidentally typed a coma instead of a period when I named my project.

  • User profile image
    Proton2

    I have just spent the last two evenings tracking down a bug in my code. I have two Visual Studio 2010 solutions that are nearly identical, both using the MVVM pattern and in this case nearly identical code as well. Except one Windows Phone project had the following code with the PropertyChanged event not = to null, as expected, but the other project had it set to null all the time.

     var e = new PropertyChangedEventArgs(propertyName);
    PropertyChangedEventHandler pceHandler = PropertyChanged;
    if (pceHandler != null) pceHandler(this, e);

    Now I am somewhat new to some of the newer platforms as I took a few years off from constantly keeping up with developments in developing to spending a lot of time upgrading my math skills to a rock solid foundation of Calculus / multi-variant Calculus (non-linear or multi-variable).

    I'm glad to have skipped the early years of silver light and taken it up after Commands had been introduced to the platform Smiley .

    So what caused my bug? I inherited from INotifyPropertyChange instead of INotifyPropertyChanged. I use Test Driven Development and simply created from usage the Change version whereas I should have used the INotifyPropertyChanged interface found in System.ComponentModel. My tests did not catch my mistake.

    Anyways, I'm having a lot of fun with my Surface Pro, being able to take my code with me to the coffee shop for the first time ever, and I am being rather productive, despite some of my set backs.

    By the way, I like the newer Visual Studio products that are better for touch. I plug in a second monitor when I am at home. I also use SyncToy to sync my projects to my desktop computer when I need more monitor real estate, as I have 4 monitors set up on it. So far though I haven't needed to use the desktop computer.

    It is hard on the eyes though going from large monitor to surfaces small monitor. I would set up two external monitors with this device if I didn't have my desktop 4 monitor solution already.

     

     

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.