Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Visual programming language vs text based programming language
  • User profile image
    Proton2

Many years ago during an open house at B.C.I.T., I visited a class that was using a visual programming tool to create apps. I actually felt sorry for them. The skill required for one thing is reliant on the tool you use and is not very transferable, especially to computer programming using a language. I don't remember what they were using.

I used Object Vision by Borland for a short while. I could not get a second page to come up no matter how hard I tried. I switched to Windows programming using the C/C++ language right after that, buying an extremely heavy large box of soft covered books and floppy disks from Borland.

I had no idea what language to use at the time and was lucky to choose what turned out to be correct one for the future.

I have used visual tools in Microsoft Access to create the SQL queries. But after a while, after peaking at the SQL statements created, and getting familiar with the syntax, it became easier to just type it out instead of using the visual tools. In some regards this is what will happen to you once you start programming. At first the code looks complex, like gibberish:

When I first got interested in programming for windows, I bought a book called Peter Nortons Windows 3.0 Power Programming techniques. I was very surprised at what went on to create a running instance of a Windows app. My prior experience was you write some code then you ran what was written. No compilation, no resource compilation, merging and linking, pre-compiled headers... I had never come across any of that before even though I took computer science classes at university.

And the code. Lots and lots of meaningless gibberish code, to me at the time.

That D word. What's that DWord text I see sprinkled all over the place in the code. Whatever could it mean. No explanations anywhere, no mention of it in the literature or the documentation. That elusive DWORD explanation haunted me for a month before I discovered its meaning.

Todays software, not to mention the Internet, would have shown me the answer within seconds of its first encounter. The world has changed remarkably since I first started coding. I'm glad I just missed coding with punch cards. Smiley