Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

WP7 $199 Wow!!! then i saw the UK Prices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • SuperSpit

i really dont know what to say, looked like a stoke of genius. oh well.

• Dr Herbie

So what are the UK prices? (for those of us without time to sit through the live feeds).

Herbie

• SuperSpit

@Dr Herbie:

"The Samsung Omnia 7 has a UK release date of 21 October in black on The One Plan for £40, the Internet Texter 900 for £38 and Internet Texter 500 for £35 per month."

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/three-offers-samsung-omnia-7-windows-phone-7-handset-900103

• Dr Herbie

Oh dear, my plans to buy one are effectively scuppered -- £40 per month for 2 years?  £960 for a phone?  I don't think so.

Herbie

• blowdart

, Dr Herbie wrote

Oh dear, my plans to buy one are effectively scuppered -- £40 per month for 2 years?  £960 for a phone?  I don't think so.

Herbie

Is that in addition to the plan? I was paying £40 a month on Orange anyway before i left. And that's cheap compared to my US phone costs.

• SuperSpit

@Dr Herbie: yea same here. Looks like they lost 2 phones. My daughter was just about convinced, i cant say no to her getting a iphone now Sad

• Maddus Mattus

@blowdart:I have a company phone and I never get above the 20 euros a month. I've had my own phone for years and never got above 14 euros,..

Howcome you guys pay so much?

P.S. company phone has unlimited internet, private phone did not have it.

• Dr Herbie

@blowdart: Current UK prices on other mobile phones include options like pay £150 up front and then get the phone for £20 for 24 months -- which was just about acceptable as a cost.  

An HTC Desire from O2 is only £25 a month for 24 months.  I know it's not quite as sparkly and new as WP7, but I would still regard it as a direct competitor.

Herbie

• blowdart

@Maddus Mattus:UK prices I got a couple of hours calls free and 3Gb. US prices, dear lord, I'm paying $130 for unlimited internet/calls/text within the country. But now they're not allowing those plans, so unlimited internet will be no more when I next upgrade.

• Maddus Mattus

@blowdart: U.S. coverage is a bit bigger then just Holland, so I can imagine the extra costs. You don't want to see my bill if I go abroad for a month or make calls abroad. I can imagine that if you get a phone that's limited to a state, it would be way cheaper.

• blowdart

@Maddus Mattus:I don't know if you can get those to be honest. Of course lack of real competition doesn't help. Don't get me started on cable. Or health care.

• Ian2

I suspect that prices will more competitive once things settle down a little,

Lets let the dust settle for a few days.

• daSmirnov

o2 have the HD7 priced on pay as you go at £379.  Pretty reasonable.

• Ian2

HTC Trophy 429.99 all in and network unlocked from Expansys:

http://www.expansys.com/htc-spark-uk-204880/

Looks pretty good to me.

• W3bbo

If a WP7 device is £430 there isn't much of a saving seeming as you can get an 8GB iPhone 3GS for £385 on PAYG. Storage space is the main grab for me, and the HTC HD7 has a similar 8GB of space. For £50 more than the HTC Trophy I can get the 16GB iPhone 4, add another £100 and I can get the 32GB iPhone 4.

I feel Microsoft messed up on the whole 'combined storage' thing. I'm looking for a phone with 64GB space, and the iPhone 5 (June 2011) is speculated to have that much space, but we know WP phones are going to evolve at a slower pace. It looks like Apple will get there first.

• SuperSpit

, daSmirnov wrote

o2 have the HD7 priced on pay as you go at £379.  Pretty reasonable.

Thats not so bad. I dont even like using the phone Smiley just want one to program against

• Dovella

OK

This is my WP7 21 Oct.

• Maddus Mattus

@Dovella: Those transitions will really get old for the 1 millionth time. But me like what I see,..

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.