Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Where is my 128 GHz chip ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

, Sven Groot wrote

For games it doesn't really matter how fast your CPU in your PC is, since 99% of all games coming out now are console ports so are designed to run on 7 year old hardware (Xbox360 and PS3). Hopefully once the PS4 and new Xbox come out there will be some new games that actually utilize modern PC hardware.

Except some select ones, like Crysis

• User profile image
    Proton2

It takes my i7 computer 20 minutes to re-encode a video. I would prefer closer to instant. Other than that, for the first time ever, I haven't felt the need for a faster computer than the first Gen i7 that I have now. I will definitely require a far more powerful computer once I get further into a few of the software development projects I am working on. Though an add on card might do the trick for a little while. The add on is $1000 right now though.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

, Proton2 wrote

It takes my i7 computer 20 minutes to re-encode a video.

That really needs further qualification to mean anything.

It takes my Core 2 Duo about 10 minutes to encode a video... if that video is 640x480, about 20 minutes long, and I'm using 2-pass Xvid encoding.

Or it takes my Core 2 Duo about 4-5 hours to encode a video... if that video is a 50 minute 720p video being encoded with x264 --crf 20 --preset slower.

• User profile image
    Proton2

, Sven Groot wrote

*snip*

That really needs further qualification to mean anything.

It takes my Core 2 Duo about 10 minutes to encode a video... if that video is 640x480, about 20 minutes long, and I'm using 2-pass Xvid encoding.

Or it takes my Core 2 Duo about 4-5 hours to encode a video... if that video is a 50 minute 720p video being encoded with x264 --crf 20 --preset slower.

I wasn't meaning to present a benchmark. I edit tv recordings occassionaly that can vary in length from a half hour to 4 to 6 hours. Sometimes I would like to change the position of an episode in my Movie Maker project then re-encode this new version that I later copy to my BlackBerry PlayBook, which I then use the video for background noise.

More cores and/or that new Intel Quick Sync video technology would speed up the time to encode. All I am saying is I don't bother doing much re-encoding because with my present system, I am too impatient. Do note however, on my previous computer it would probably take an order of magnitude longer to re-encode.

Actually my biggest setback is I have run out of hard drive space, though my system has almost 5 TB total storage.

• User profile image
    Proton2

Some impressive water simulation demonstrations. Not the add in card I was thinking of, but a cheaper one.

http://motls.blogspot.ca/2013/04/physx-pbf-breakthrough-in-simulation-of.html

The card I was thinking of :

http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.