Coffeehouse Thread

74 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Will there be a Build conference 2012?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    aL3891

paul seems to think there'll be a build this year atleast Smiley

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-unveiled-143477

• User profile image
    Ian2

OK, Time to step up to the plate:

I will be holding BUILD 2012 in my living room, on my Birthday (October 4th).  There will be a big surprise and I can promise at least one big name guest (not my cat)

All welcome  (Please bring your own food)

Thanks.

• User profile image
    hchwa

With MS announcements last week for Surface Tablets and Windows Phone 8, the biggest missing piece for the success of the Windows ecosystem is still the apps.  Now that Microsoft building it own hardware, it needs another Build conference to showcase the Windows 8 hardwares and the software tooling that will help software development build software on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (since they will be share the same kernal). If I am not wrong, there will be a Build conference, I just wish MS announce it soon so people can have time to plan for the budget and travel arrangement... 

• User profile image
    ZippyV

@hchwa: That's what TechEd is for.

• User profile image
    Ian2

I suspect that the whole WinDiv / DevDiv thing has messed things up a bit for developers this year conference wise  (Hence the announcement for BUILD 2012 in Gloucestershire).

BTW My wife has asked if you would all mind bringing a pair of slippers with you as we have had new carpet in the front room this year. 

• User profile image
    aL3891

@Ian2:

will it be 2000 bucks like last year?

• User profile image
    Ian2

@aL3891:No, if it was there would be free food (and also a free pair of slippers)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

@Ian2: ... and you promise it's not just you showing off you Lego collection?

Herbie

• User profile image
    MasterPi

@Ian2: lodging included?

• User profile image
    Proton2

@Ian2: Door prizes?

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Dr Herbie: Appreciating the fact that not everyone is going to be interested in everything on offer so there will be multiple tracks running concurrently ...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

As long as "It happens at Ian's, it stays at Ian's"...I'm in...

• User profile image
    Ian2

Dupe

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Proton2:It tends to turn cold in October around these parts so I think we are going to need all the doors thank you.

@MasterPie:There is a barn out back, hay will be provided (and yes, if you happen to be sitting on some when the conference finishes you are free to take it home with you)

• User profile image
    Ian2

@Harlequin:What kind of a Conference do you think I am running sir?

• User profile image
    hwah

@ZippyV: The difference between TechEd and Build (or PDC) is that TechEd usually focus on the current products from MS that is out in the Market and PDC/Build conference usually showcase technologies that will be out in the near future... In 2012, I would think the focus in Build would be continue promo software (Metro) developement for Windows 8 and the upcoming Windows Phone 8, showcase hardward (Surface Tablet, OEM devices, and perhaps WP8 devices), Windows Server 2012...etc.  It is important to have MS to show this cohesive Windows ecosystem to the software developers and the enterprise IT pro/decision makers. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

But Windows 8 and (probably) WP8 will be out in the fall, around the time where a Build conference could take place. That would make them current products ("legacy" in Microsoft's terms) and so material for TechEd.

That said, no, there won't be a Build conference this year Smiley

• User profile image
    Ian2

@PaoloM: Maybe you don't want to make the trek over the Atlantic but don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.