Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 8 / VS 2012 / TFS 2012

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lensman

I have a development laptop which has windows 8, visual studio 2012 (premium), and a full blown copy of Team Foundation Server.  On the same box is a developer edition of SQL 2012.  The system has 16 GB of ram so memory is not an issue.

Since UPDATE 1 I am getting freezes during "performing check-out" operations.  A reboot seems to fixes things for a while however the problem reoccurs.

It seems to be a timeout error.

Is anyone else seeing this? 

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

@lensman: I definitely have problems with VS2012 and TFS on occasion, but usually only with big branches and merges.  Sometimes the transport connection fails, due to network issues and screws up everything, leaving editable files in memory different from what's on disk.  This results in me having to undo everything and starting over, hopefully from a shelveset.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

@lensman: You may also want to check and make sure that your antivirus/antimalware exclusion list includes your working directory, and devenv.exe.

• User profile image
    lensman

@Richard.Hein:It can't be a network problem as the box is self contained with no network paths.  That is to say it is unconnected to any network.  It is a wholly independent development box with everything local.

The problems I am seeing, since updating to update #1, all boil down to file locking problems. I get resources are busy or simple "hung" never returning from "auto checkout" events.  Stopping Visual Studio and relaunching the project solves things however it is very annoying.

• User profile image
    V120

Hi Richard,

I have exactly the same problem and a colleague of mine using Windows 8 as well. As you say, this is very annoying, to say the least.

Anyone having a solution for this ?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.