Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

X720 wish.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

I don't know about you guys, but, those X360 power cable is getting my nerves. They are so thick and rigid. And then, there is this giant power brick. I understand the benefit of the power brick, but, it is annoying. Well, maybe if the brick is smaller and the wire is thinner, maybe it is not so bad.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

, magicalclick wrote

I don't know about you guys, but, those X360 power cable is getting my nerves. They are so thick and rigid. And then, there is this giant power brick. I understand the benefit of the power brick, but, it is annoying. Well, maybe if the brick is smaller and the wire is thinner, maybe it is not so bad.

Just a guess, but the thickness is probably a necessity.

• User profile image
    fabian

... and the brick eliminates the need for a (noisy) fan

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@fabian:

to be realistic, X360 is the loudest of current gen system.

@cbae:

I guess macbook power cords are unnecessarily thin.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

I have the slim edition, it's whisper quiet.

And the brick has such a thick secondairy cord, because it has a lot of wires in it for all the different voltages.

@fabian: if the brick doesnt require a fan, a built in brick will not require a fan.

• User profile image
    Bas

The brick itself won't need a fan if it's built in, but if it was built in the heat from the brick would add to the heat of the system so the system itself might need a (bigger/extra) fan.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@Bas: true, the brick outside has more cooling due to it's direct contact with outiside air.

I think it's just from keeping the XBox bulky and maybe it was cheaper to make this way.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, magicalclick wrote

@fabian:

to be realistic, X360 is the loudest of current gen system.

@cbae:

I guess macbook power cords are unnecessarily thin.

The Macbook can get away with it because it runs on a sort of dual supply.

If there is no power cable plugged in then it runs on battery.

If there is a power cable plugged in then it runs from the mains AND the battery...all while it's charging the battery.

Which is part of the reason why the battery isn't removable. Does make for a tiny power brick though. 

Maybe Microsoft could fit a battery to the XBOX. Call it the XBOX-Hybrid.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@Ray7: no, actually. Battery can only take and supply one voltage. So voltage transformation has to be done inside the laptop. That's why there is a forced airflow.

That's why the cord is so thin.

• User profile image
    Ray7

, Maddus Mattus wrote

@Ray7: no, actually. Battery can only take and supply one voltage.

Yup.

So voltage transformation has to be done inside the laptop. That's why there is a forced airflow.

That's why the cord is so thin.

Riiggghhht.

Makes you wonder how Apple managed to cram all that into a case the width of a bread knife.

• User profile image
    spivonious

@Ray7: But there are plenty of fanless power supplies. If they can take AC and convert it to multiple voltages of DC, I don't think converting 12VDC from a battery to 5V and 3.3V would generate too much heat.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@Ray7: flat batteries like in your phone, not exactly rocket science.

Large laptops tend to have bigger, cheaper, cells.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I don't understand why you need such thick wire. It really doesn't make sense when you compare to macbook. And X360 is not using that much power, especially the slim.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

, magicalclick wrote

I don't understand why you need such thick wire. It really doesn't make sense when you compare to macbook. And X360 is not using that much power, especially the slim.

The thick wire is really a bunch of thin wires wrapped up. Have you ever opened up a desktop PC and looked at how many wires come out of the power source? The Xbox is closer to being a desktop PC than it is to being notebook. The power brick of the Xbox produces 175W on the DC side. I have a Dell notebook with a battery with 56Wh capacity. If the Xbox requires even half the maximum load of the power brick, that Dell notebook battery would last less than 40 minutes powering an Xbox.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

, magicalclick wrote

Get a pair of scissors or a knife and cut open the cable.  You can yank out about 90% of the wires, but make sure that it's plugged in when you do it so you can see if you've pulled out too many.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

, ScanIAm wrote

*snip*

Get a pair of scissors or a knife and cut open the cable.  You can yank out about 90% of the wires, but make sure that it's plugged in when you do it so you can see if you've pulled out too many.

Well, how much does those All-in-one Mac Desktop use? Maybe that would give me a good reference on how much I should keep.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

@magicalclick:

Always cut the red wire.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

No no, you must follow the assembly instructions in reverse. That's what Police Quest 2 taught me.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.