Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Xbox 360 dashboard

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cro

I was surprise by the new dashboard. My dashboard don't look like the picture and preview I have seen on the Internet. But some friends of mine have the clearer look. Any idea how to change it, why do I have the darker one ?

Generic Forum Image

as seen on the Internet

Generic Forum Image

my dashboard look like this

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

@cro: You can change it under the social page.  On the social page you need to select your avatar then change the theme.  I had a hard time finding it myself.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Out of curiosity (as I don't own an Xbox myself) - can you set-up an Xbox like the games consoles of old: just an STB connected to a TV to play games on. No internet, no "social", no avatars, no advertising?

• User profile image
    AndyC

@W3bbo: Well you can just never connect the xbox to the internet and just use it to play on-disc games, if that's what you mean. You'd kind of be missing out on some of the great functionality though, but it's certainly possible.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

@W3bbo: I am sure you could.  I never tried because I use mine mainly as a streaming media device.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@cro:

It is just a theme or background, nothing special. You can even use the pre-xboxnext themes because they are using x360 original themes. Meaning you don't have that 2.5D theme anymore.

You need to connect to internet to have Bing tab.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cro

@magicalclick:what is the name of the theme ? I do have the Bing tab, this is just a screenshot that I have found on the Internet.

If I remember correctly, I have the Xbox 360 theme, the night theme and an Halo 3 theme.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

I like the new update, but there's one major issue I have with it.  We should be able to say, "XBox - Kinect - Sleep", or something to temporarily disable Kinect input.  When you have the dashboard open and you are just sitting there on the couch, the XBox picks up movement from things like my shoulder or elbows or me typing on my laptop and stuff is moving around and dinging, and starts opening stuff.  If I had a cat or something, I'd be afraid it would start ordering movies.  A quick way to lock/unlock the kinect input that is more fool proof, is necessary.

Note:  This doesn't seem to be a problem from within certain apps, like Netflix ... only the dashboard seems to have this issue.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@cro:

It looks a lot like the day theme from original 360, but yeah, it is not. Beats me lol, I guess you can find the theme in the store.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

, AndyC wrote

@W3bbo: Well you can just never connect the xbox to the internet and just use it to play on-disc games, if that's what you mean. You'd kind of be missing out on some of the great functionality though, but it's certainly possible.

• DLC that expires with no guarantees it will still work in 5-10 years' time.
    • Potential unwarranted game updates that disable functionality.
    • Spending real money on downloaded software titles with no way to permanently back them up or work them independently of your account.

PC games are already requiring permanently Internet connections to play certain titles - I don't imagine it'll be long before the next series of games consoles require Internet connections, probably because the games will only be delivered electronically (i.e. the Phantom games console, only 10 years late).

No regrets about not owning a games console here Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

, W3bbo wrote

Out of curiosity (as I don't own an Xbox myself) - can you set-up an Xbox like the games consoles of old: just an STB connected to a TV to play games on. No internet, no "social", no avatars, no advertising?

Yes. Just set the option to boot straight to the game if a disc is in the drive. It'll work just like plugging in a cartridge; you won't even see the dashboard. Also don't hook it up to the internet and you won't receive updates. Also don't buy DLC. The consoles of old didn't have DLC or patches either.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Some of the newer games do require that the console be up to date. I was given the choice when setting up my 360 whether to connect it to the internet. I said no, but then when I attempted to play a game I had bought, I was told I needed to update my 360 before it could work.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I can't tell till I get home, but mine seemed to have picked up my background settings that were used in the zune software with the same login...It definitely wasn't as plain as the shots you have shown.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Is all of this online content still restricted to XBL Gold members? I really don't see the point in paying $60/year to get services that I can get by plugging a laptop into the TV.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

, spivonious wrote

Is all of this online content still restricted to XBL Gold members? I really don't see the point in paying $60/year to get services that I can get by plugging a laptop into the TV.

A laptop costs more than $60 a year, to be fair.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

, spivonious wrote

XBL Gold is essentially useless now that Netflix has imploded.  I'm not sure if the zune stuff needs it to work, but 99.999% of my time is spent using the XBox as a TV extender.  Most of that could work with a laptop, but there's no guarantee that the HD content won't soon become copy protected and require an actual extented instead of just a player.

• User profile image
    AndyC

@ScanIAm: I've got a Zunepass and a Silver Xbox account and Zune still works fine, the Sky app doesn't launch though saying I need a Gold account. So I guess it might be dependent upon the individual app.

Some of the newer functionality in Gold like Cloud Saves and profile roaming sound interesting and might persuade me to go Gold again. At around £30 for a year, it's not exactly expensive, even if I only ever played online sporadically.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

, W3bbo wrote

*snip*

A laptop costs more than $60 a year, to be fair.

Also the experience sucks, it's not designed for the living room/couch setting.  There's no reliable TV remote/controller input across everything.  All the providers have different interfaces and its all disjointed.  On Xbox there's global search across all available providers, plus there's voice control and Kinect gesture control end to end.  And there's a social element to it, friends, presence, etc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.