Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

bad Visual Studio 2010 bug

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/681331/visual-studio-2010-web-publish-dialog-bug

Please check this out and vote / comment on it.

if you publish Web projects and have to switch between different ones you can wind up with files going to the wrong place!

the dialog will show one location but send the files to the last location you published to!

I work around this every day by selecting the publish folder every time i publish a web project. but all it takes is one time i forget and then i have to open projects and re-publsih and hope i fix it before customers freak out!

i am running sp1 and it did not fix the bug, this bug has been with vs 2010  from beta to sp1

• User profile image
    harlock123

That bug is why I manually move projects to their locations. Then Its My fault not some stupid tool...

Voted....

• User profile image
    figuerres

,harlock123 wrote

That bug is why I manually move projects to their locations. Then Its My fault not some stupid tool...

Voted....

Yeah in defence / work around i generally "publish" to a folder on my local drive then zip the files and copy to the server etc....

but the way the dialog shows the location it only takes 1 goof to get the wrong files to the wrong place.

and it sure seems like they should fix this how hard can it really be to fix the target location?

In my job i take care of like 20 different web projects + applications and databases so this bug wastes a *lot* of time each week.

• User profile image
    figuerres

I saw that one of the C9 folks (if the name is the same) said they could not reproduce the problem.

later i will take some time to make a carefull set of screen shots and notes to make sure others are checking the same thing.

you have to have two different web projects with different saved publish locations and switch projects after a publish. also i am using the file path as the publish target.

it 100% happens on my system, win 7 x64 / VS 2010 Sp1

I do not think this is an OS related bug i think it's in VS remembering recent folders used.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Yep. I made a new solution with two web projects in it. I then configured each project to have file system publish to different locations. The Publish dialog stayed updated based on which project was selected.

Am I misunderstanding how to repro?

edit: Ah, I wasn't publishing before switching. Let me try that now.

edit2: Nope, still works for me.

• User profile image
    figuerres

,spivonious wrote

Yep. I made a new solution with two web projects in it. I then configured each project to have file system publish to different locations. The Publish dialog stayed updated based on which project was selected.

sounds like you are doing the same thing ....

publishing to a local folder yes?

and it's not the "web site" project type its the "Project / Solution" that has a "Web Application" yes?

also i do not knpow if this matters but i see the right path in the main dialog but when i click on the "..." it shows the *PRIOR* location for the other publish.

i wonder if it is an OS related bug ?

harlock -- are you seeing it with xp or with 7 or ????

have to see if my home pc duplicates the problem  or not then i will know if the install of VS on a given machine makes a diff as i also have win7 pro at home same as at work.

• User profile image
    figuerres

,spivonious wrote

one thing i just saw in your post:  make TWO SOLUTIONS, each has one web application, then two different publish locations. test that please. that is where i get the problem.

open solution #1 publish to C:\foldera\folderb\

then open Solution #2 and publish to C:\folderc\foldere\

then go back to #1 and click on publish then click on the "..." and see where it's pointing at.

if you do not look and just hit publish it will go to the folder in the second dialog not the one shown in the main publish dialog.

• User profile image
    harlock123

@figuerres:

To be Honest I originally saw it happen back on Vista.

My original arrangement was multiple simple solutions each with a single web component in them.

If I bounced between solutions (Loading and unloading) somewhere along the chain the push would get confused and publish to the wrong location.

That's when I started being deliberate and have never looked back. Now I am on windows 7 and I don't really know if its happening here I would have to test it out...

• User profile image
    figuerres

,harlock123 wrote

@figuerres:

To be Honest I originally saw it happen back on Vista.

My original arrangement was multiple simple solutions each with a single web component in them.

If I bounced between solutions (Loading and unloading) somewhere along the chain the push would get confused and publish to the wrong location.

That's when I started being deliberate and have never looked back. Now I am on windows 7 and I don't really know if its happening here I would have to test it out...

well if for sure happens to me ...

at some point i may have to try re-loading this machine, i hate to cause it takes a while to re-install stuff, with all the apps i use etc...

-------------------

i have seen a problem that i am not sure if it's just on some installs of .net or what...

i have some code that runs on a server as a windows service that when i format a decimal with "C" some times it winds up doing this $1,234..56

two decimals !

but when i run the same code on a machine at home i do not repro the problem!

at this time i suspect that it might be a problem on the server as the box needs some work, it's a 2003 32 bit server that has been running for years now and we need to re-partition the drives the boot volume is getting low on space.  it has about every version of .net on it plus a ton of other server stuff.

well thanks for the info and looking into the vs thing.

• User profile image
    spivonious

,figuerres wrote

*snip*

one thing i just saw in your post:  make TWO SOLUTIONS, each has one web application, then two different publish locations. test that please. that is where i get the problem.

open solution #1 publish to C:\foldera\folderb\

then open Solution #2 and publish to C:\folderc\foldere\

then go back to #1 and click on publish then click on the "..." and see where it's pointing at.

if you do not look and just hit publish it will go to the folder in the second dialog not the one shown in the main publish dialog.

Okay, yes I see the old path in the "..." dialog. But if I just hit publish, it goes to the correct location.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.