Coffeehouse Thread

69 posts

8.1  (why?)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

the press has been hard pressed to give me a reason....how about you?

Here is what ive read (and im soaking in it  .1)  "Win8.1 adds a bunch of stuff to the metro apps no one uses and it still isnt enough." /quote/unquote.:

Here are my win 8 qualms/requests. Please let me know if they are being addressed,

1. metro in a window 
    id maybe use all those beautiful new apps if i could use them in a window in...Windows.

2, I want running apps "option" for start screen (like alt tab on steroids - what's running - right there

so thats it. thats all i want.

you?

*edit*  that is how you get rid of start bar - make alt tab a real boy.

• User profile image
    jamie

...just to clarify... 

that's ...you're working in Excel - hit win key - choose: an open Word doc - OR open Quickbooks.exe

same screen

the end

*edit - i hate excel and word but used them for ...GUSTO!  ;p

pps - i hate quickbooks MOST!

and edit pppps: i have 8.1 the additions to metro are underwhelming - please make right mouse do Windows stuff on the tiles - IF - on a PC

so - like - option flyout - file location being the main one

...so that mean's: a sub-system for pc based right-mouse requests AND running apps on start screen AND metro in a window. 

Easy Peasy.

• User profile image
    jamie

*conversely - show us a proof of concept of the desktop we know functioning in metro - only

gnite

• User profile image
    Proton2
  • User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld
  • User profile image
    elmer

, jamie wrote

1. metro in a window 

id maybe use all those beautiful new apps if i could use them in a window in...Windows.

http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

$5 and your wish is granted.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

, jamie wrote

the press has been hard pressed to give me a reason....how about you?

Smaller start screen titles so that you can better design the start screen rather than let everything have emphasis. Search that doesn't suck (although, this is debatable according to what you cared about in previous OS versions).

My wish list is more improvements to the aesthetic of the desktop (new, modern icons, more designed look). Instead of metro in a window, I'd rather have default WPF templates that used metro style (look, as well as the behavior/animation of some of the metro controls).

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@jamie: buy the ModernMix to use Metro app in desktop and pin it to taskbar. That's how I use Mail app, which I still rated it one star for being useless natively until I bought the 3rd party patch. After that, you can trash the start screen just like Sinofsky explained, because you can pin in on your taskbar. Sinofsky tried to increase startmenu/screen usage by crippling the taskbar, but, that hardly changes anything after we bought the 3rd party patch to uncripple the taskbar.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cbae

, magicalclick wrote

@jamie: buy the ModernMix to use Metro app in desktop and pin it to taskbar. That's how I use Mail app, which I still rated it one star for being useless natively until I bought the 3rd party patch. After that, you can trash the start screen just like Sinofsky explained, because you can pin in on your taskbar. Sinofsky tried to increase startmenu/screen usage by crippling the taskbar, but, that hardly changes anything after we bought the 3rd party patch to uncripple the taskbar.

How is the taskbar crippled?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

, cbae wrote

*snip*

How is the taskbar crippled?

You can't pin or launch Metro apps to/from it?

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

, MasterPi wrote

*snip*

My wish list is more improvements to the aesthetic of the desktop (new, modern icons, more designed look). Instead of metro in a window, I'd rather have default WPF templates that used metro style (look, as well as the behavior/animation of some of the metro controls).

This. Plus access to Contracts and Sharing. Merge the desktop explorer's Send To menu with W8 Sharing.

If we all believed in unicorns and fairies the world would be a better place.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld

, MasterPi wrote

Same here.  The desktop really needs to be modernized, albeit I didn't expect this for 8.1.

• User profile image
    bondsbw

, DeathBy​VisualStudio wrote

*snip*

This. Plus access to Contracts and Sharing. Merge the desktop explorer's Send To menu with W8 Sharing.

For once we can 100% agree with each other about something.   Smiley

• User profile image
    magicalclick

, DCMonkey wrote

*snip*

You can't pin or launch Metro apps to/from it?

I am sure his will say it doesn't count because metro doesn't exist in win7. But we all fully know what crippled means when the taskbar no longer support all windows supported applications. Anyway, I bet his knew that already, but, feel the need to troll my comment using "technicalities". I don't care in the end. He can be right all he wants when large percentage of Windows users stay negative toward Win8.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

, Lizard​Rumsfeld wrote

*snip*

Same here.  The desktop really needs to be modernized, albeit I didn't expect this for 8.1.

I don't expect it for another two-three updates, with the scope of improvements consisting of just explorer, taskbar, and control panel - basically the most used UI. Admin tool icons and a bunch of other graphics will probably still stay the way they are up until the desktop dies.

I think they'll probably invest more time in backporting WinRT APIs/concepts and blending the desktop world with the metro world (like binding Send To to the share charm).

• User profile image
    elmer

IMO the answer is simpler - WinRT should not have a desktop and should not run Desktop apps at all, while Win8 should only have a desktop, and should run Modern/Metro apps in windows.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

@elmer: I think ModernMix works great for the two cases, aside from it being a hack than a formal feature.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

, elmer wrote

WinRT should not have a desktop and should not run Desktop apps at all, while Win8 should only have a desktop, and should run Modern/Metro apps in windows.

I think you are confusing your terms. WinRT is the "modern" or metro APIs.

Did you mean Windows RT which is the tablet/ARM version of Windows 8? Or perhaps Surface which is the Microsoft tablet itself?

It sucks a lot that Microsoft was stupid enough to have such similar terms mean such different things, but they are different, and it's confusing if people say something about one when they mean the other.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.