Site Feedback Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PCI Express connector woes / or maybe it's NVIDIA that sucks

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    androidi

I've seen this on multiple motherboards now of different brands

As you may know, the PCI-E connector is lower in height than PCI connector. Paired with atleast NVIDIA OEMs cards there seems to be an issue where the card can swing ~2 millimeters around sideways while seated in the connector as far as it goes.

No problem you say? Well I've seen this swing result in both total inability to boot the computer and ability to work perfectly fine - until you hit some stressful 3D app and then get random problems from flickering to app crashes and rarely even BSOD. Adjusting the motherboard alignment (<1 mm change) with the case to make it sit slightly differently has solved the issues but I've never had these issues with PCI or AGP.

I think the problem might be solved if the card was tiny bit (sub mm) thicker or the pins in connectors were slightly modified.

edit - damn can't edit the title, it's not NVIDIA issue if their partners make problematic cards.

• User profile image
    androidi

.. Another of my threads in wrong place:

I posted this by going to Coffeehouse, click new thread, then changed the forum to Tech off. It appeared to be in Tech off for maybe few seconds (I refreshed once to check).. Now few minutes later I check and it's in Site feedback!

Also saw problems with RSS feeds where the OP was a post from another forum (ARCast or something) and comments in the same RSS were from coffeehouse.

• User profile image
    androidi

androidi said:
    .. Another of my threads in wrong place:

I posted this by going to Coffeehouse, click new thread, then changed the forum to Tech off. It appeared to be in Tech off for maybe few seconds (I refreshed once to check).. Now few minutes later I check and it's in Site feedback!

Also saw problems with RSS feeds where the OP was a post from another forum (ARCast or something) and comments in the same RSS were from coffeehouse.
    And further bugginess: I edited my reply in another thread, the edit stayed there for couple minutes and now edit is gone.

... Cleared my cache & cookies now to see if there's any change to behaviour.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.