Site Feedback Thread

3 posts

WPF and The Future?

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    sysrpl

First and bit of a rant ...

GDI+ is a complete failure. It is slow, uses software rendering (please don’t mention Matrox, they aren’t an option in 2008), and doesn’t have an officially supported C interface.

Microsoft, please get serious and create a new hardware abstraction API for drawing graphics to replace the ancient GDI.  Put it into the Platform SDK as a C interface and create some .NET wrappers for it. Use every means at your disposal to make damn sure hardware vendors provide accelerated drivers for it.

I know what you’re going to say … we’ve done that twice already (GDI+ and WPF) with the last two shipments of Windows, so the answer is NO!

Well sadly, in my opinion again, WPF is not the answer. Microsoft you missed the mark twice now. While .NET might be well suited for enterprise development, it is not a real choice for commercial software. Commercial applications (all of the many programs I depend on everyday such as Office, Photoshop, AutoCAD, Lightwave, Firefox, Textpad, and I could go on and on) are and will remain in the C/C++ realm. This goes doubly so for intensive graphics applications.

So unto WPF. WPF needlessly ties graphics programming to a tree model, where everything to be drawn is an object and added must be added to some kind of drawing surface collection. It’s unintuitive, and step in the wrong direction.

As a programmer I have come to expect has worked so well in the past. Somthing with a C API along the lines of this psuedo code ...

Surface.Line(Pen, 10.5, 23.25);

Rather than ...

Line.Stroke = Pen;
    Line.StrokeThickness = 2;
    Line.X1 = 0;
    Line.Y1 = 0;
    Line.X2 = 10.5;
    Line.X2 = 23.25;
    Surface.Add(Line);

No, what we need is more advances stuff like advanced hardware blitting with blend modes, direct access to graphics memory, fast and smooth hardware interpolation of image, stroke, and fill resizing with antiailising done in hardware. We want layered graphics output, hardware transforms, and polygon clipping with spline curves as polygon segments while preserving strokes and fills.

Oh and check out this C style  (incomplete and closed source) implementation of a accelerated hardware API:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ceiKZyGEHE

Microsoft, please give us a new solid graphics API and make sure hardware manufacturers support it this time.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

This forum is for feedback about C9 itself...

• User profile image
    figuerres

Sven Groot said:
    This forum is for feedback about C9 itself...
    How can we move the post to coff H. or Tech Off ???

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.