I did some digging with Fiddler regarding the large page size. In the linked thread, IE7 shows a page size of 290KB, while Firefox shows 29KB. Since I know IE shows uncompressed size while FF shows compressed size, I did some checking.
According to Fiddler, Firefox received 29KB of gzip compressed data for the page. After decompression, Fiddler says the page size is 290KB so this adds up.
Now here's the strange part: for IE7, Fiddler shows the server actually responds with 290KB of uncompressed data! The server is
not compressing the response like it does with Firefox, even though IE7 does send the "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate" header with its request.
I use content compression for some pages on my own site, and according to Fiddler, IE7 does get the compressed version in that case. So it's not a problem with IE7 on my end. I use the IIS7 built-in content compression support.
This is very strange, and it needs to be fixed ASAP since such large page sizes are unacceptable.
EDIT: I created this thread with "Create related discussion" from
this thread. I thought that would put an "In reply to" link at the top, but apparently it doesn't.
And now suddenly I am getting compressed responses for IE. Getting weirder and weirder.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.