Site Feedback Thread

12 posts

Go to first unread message

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

A long time ago, we were promised that we'd get the option to jump to the first unread post in a thread. Currently we still only have the ability to jump to the last post, which just isn't as useful.

Consider the following scenario. I come back one morning to find a thread has new messages. This thread now has five pages, while I know it had only three pages the day before (and I would remember that; I have an excellent memory for pointless numbers). In the old C9 I could just open at page 3, find the first unread post, and start from there. Now I must either open at page 1 or 5, browse to page 3, and then look for the post.

Since you seem determined to not have to ability to jump to a specific page, can we please get that "jump to first unread post" option, instead of (or in addition to) "jump to last"?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven, maybe you haven't noticed yet, but C9 does this already. I noticed this the first time when there was a thread with 3 pages and I clicked the "go to last post" link and it took me to the middle of page 2 instead of the end of page 3.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TommyCarlier said:
    Sven, maybe you haven't noticed yet, but C9 does this already. I noticed this the first time when there was a thread with 3 pages and I clicked the "go to last post" link and it took me to the middle of page 2 instead of the end of page 3.
    That's not what it does for me.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I hate to say it (because you missed it and because we haven't advertised it) but we've had this feature for a while.  Go into your profile and edit it and check the box that says "Automatically go to last unread comment".

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

HumanCompiler said:
    I hate to say it (because you missed it and because we haven't advertised it) but we've had this feature for a while.  Go into your profile and edit it and check the box that says "Automatically go to last unread comment".
    This could be a sign that you should really promote the new features better. Especially features you have to enable manually.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TommyCarlier said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    This could be a sign that you should really promote the new features better. Especially features you have to enable manually.
    Indeed, how was I supposed to know about that?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Sven Groot said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Indeed, how was I supposed to know about that?
    and that is my fault, I found the experience a bit surprising and thought we should turn it off by default. The plan was to advertise it after we had used it for a bit and were comfortable with the experience. Ah plans... they are so nice to make...

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*

I'd also like to see more advertising for new features. The whole blue posts/salmon bar/watermark thing was kind of confusing and spawned a bunch of threads before it was clear what they were for.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

I'd also like to see more advertising for new features. The whole blue posts/salmon bar/watermark thing was kind of confusing and spawned a bunch of threads before it was clear what they were for.

Maybe the C9 team could have a contest: Find the Feature! Sounds like a contest I could actually win!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Duncanma said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    and that is my fault, I found the experience a bit surprising and thought we should turn it off by default. The plan was to advertise it after we had used it for a bit and were comfortable with the experience. Ah plans... they are so nice to make...
    I agree, which is why I would prefer it if it were a separate link (perhaps in place of the go to last post link that's there now) instead of taking over the functionality of the main link.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Sven Groot said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    I agree, which is why I would prefer it if it were a separate link (perhaps in place of the go to last post link that's there now) instead of taking over the functionality of the main link.
    I agree with that as well, but I didn't think we should clutter up the list with yet another link ... I was thinking that making the 'partially unread' icon into a link would be a possiblity .... but I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Duncanma said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I agree with that as well, but I didn't think we should clutter up the list with yet another link ... I was thinking that making the 'partially unread' icon into a link would be a possiblity .... but I'm not sure how difficult that would be.
    I have other ideas for those icons that I've never gotten around to implementing.  Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.