Site Feedback Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Post times are wrong

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

I figured I should throw this out there again: all post times are one hour in the future compared to when the posts were actually made.

My timezone is set to JST and this timezone does not have DST at all, ever.

Since this issue has existed since C9v3 I don't really expect it to be fixed anymore...

• User profile image
    Duncanma

We must be repeating the mistakes being made in that code. Perhaps we are making a mistake by just storing the offset from GMT, maybe storing an actual timezone name and then using .NET to do the time difference would be more accurate. I'll make a bug in our list for this.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Duncanma said:
    We must be repeating the mistakes being made in that code. Perhaps we are making a mistake by just storing the offset from GMT, maybe storing an actual timezone name and then using .NET to do the time difference would be more accurate. I'll make a bug in our list for this.
    I'm not sure but I think it's a DST thing. If you are just doing offsets, you have to remember that while JST is usually GMT+9, during the period that GMT is in DST, JST is actually GMT+8. So if you are using the DST version of GMT as a base you end up wrong.

If instead you would use UTC (which doesn't have DST) as offset, it would work right (since JST is always UTC+9). Letting .Net do its thing might be better though, at least that way you can get rid of that rediculous "It's daylight savings time" checkbox and handle that automatically.

• User profile image
    jh71283

Sven Groot said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    I'm not sure but I think it's a DST thing. If you are just doing offsets, you have to remember that while JST is usually GMT+9, during the period that GMT is in DST, JST is actually GMT+8. So if you are using the DST version of GMT as a base you end up wrong.

If instead you would use UTC (which doesn't have DST) as offset, it would work right (since JST is always UTC+9). Letting .Net do its thing might be better though, at least that way you can get rid of that rediculous "It's daylight savings time" checkbox and handle that automatically.
    GMT never changes.

The UK Time changes to BST, but that is GMT + 1

• User profile image
    jh71283

Sven Groot said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

I think that this issue will be complicated further by the fact that the US have decided that their daylight saving time should be on a different schedule

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.