Site Feedback Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Catch-up button

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Is there a way that you guys could implement a catch-up button. The purpose of this button would be to mark all the threads in a forum read - even though I haven't read them all..


    The problem that I face right now is that I never know which one of the threads has new posts since my visit. I know that for the threads that I read but not for the others.

    It would be awesome to have this feature because then with each visit I could focus on only the threads that have NEW posts and don't get lost in all the ones that had new threads the last time but I didn't read.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    blowdart has asked for mark all as read too.  So my explaination of why it's not an easy change is over there too.  We figured more people would read less than half of the threads that exist so we built the data to be scalable that way.  If we hear enough people say they read more than half of the threads that go through the coffeehouse, I'm sure we'd be motivated to make the change.  So far there have been 2 of you.  Smiley

  • User profile image
    dcuccia

    HumanCompiler said:
    blowdart has asked for mark all as read too.  So my explaination of why it's not an easy change is over there too.  We figured more people would read less than half of the threads that exist so we built the data to be scalable that way.  If we hear enough people say they read more than half of the threads that go through the coffeehouse, I'm sure we'd be motivated to make the change.  So far there have been 2 of you.  Smiley
    I do this all the time...a "Mark all as read" feature is built in to Google Reader. Of course, this works only for finding new threads if you're subscribed to 'Channel 9' RSS feeds, but it also works if you're subscribed to comments on a particular thread.

  • User profile image
    dcuccia

    dcuccia said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    I do this all the time...a "Mark all as read" feature is built in to Google Reader. Of course, this works only for finding new threads if you're subscribed to 'Channel 9' RSS feeds, but it also works if you're subscribed to comments on a particular thread.
    ...so I suppose the feature would be helpful if you wanted a way of seeing all comments to all threads w/o having to subscribe to each feed.

    Another way to achieve the same thing would be create an RSS/Atom feed for 'All Comments'.

  • User profile image
    dcuccia

    dcuccia said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    I do this all the time...a "Mark all as read" feature is built in to Google Reader. Of course, this works only for finding new threads if you're subscribed to 'Channel 9' RSS feeds, but it also works if you're subscribed to comments on a particular thread.
    [deleted - duplicate post]

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    dcuccia said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    I do this all the time...a "Mark all as read" feature is built in to Google Reader. Of course, this works only for finding new threads if you're subscribed to 'Channel 9' RSS feeds, but it also works if you're subscribed to comments on a particular thread.
    Google Reader is a bit different in that it's only querying the RSS feeds you've subscribed to which is more than likely a smaller list than all posts on Channel 9.  We're querying across the whole site to come up with the list of threads and then applying a list of all posts you've read.  As I mentioned above, we're optimized for people reading less than half of all threads.  We could flip it the other direction so it's all the threads you haven't read (or make it dynamic based on how much you read for optimal efficiency), but this all work that we don't really have time for.  Again though, if enough people ask, I'm sure it could become a priority.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    dcuccia said:
    dcuccia said:
    *snip*
    ...so I suppose the feature would be helpful if you wanted a way of seeing all comments to all threads w/o having to subscribe to each feed.

    Another way to achieve the same thing would be create an RSS/Atom feed for 'All Comments'.
    A "My Threads" page is definitely something we've talked about adding and would definitely add value.  We just need to find the time to build something like this and we're currently swamped with other time sensitive projects.

  • User profile image
    dcuccia

    HumanCompiler said:
    dcuccia said:
    *snip*
    A "My Threads" page is definitely something we've talked about adding and would definitely add value.  We just need to find the time to build something like this and we're currently swamped with other time sensitive projects.
    Hey HumanCompiler
    Google Reader is a bit different in that it's only querying the RSS feeds you've subscribed to which is more than likely a smaller list than all posts on Channel 9.
    I subscribe to http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/RSS/. Is that not all the threads?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Sorry about the off-topic-ness, but since we can't create new topics:

    Hey guys, we can't create new topics. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but that's why the forum isn't doing all that much these past couple of hours. If you had noticed, some sort of "such and such is wrong, we're working on it" message would have been nice.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Bas said:

    Sorry about the off-topic-ness, but since we can't create new topics:

    Hey guys, we can't create new topics. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but that's why the forum isn't doing all that much these past couple of hours. If you had noticed, some sort of "such and such is wrong, we're working on it" message would have been nice.

    I think they're trying out ways to avoid moderating the forums. No more new threads to the forums.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    HumanCompiler said:
    blowdart has asked for mark all as read too.  So my explaination of why it's not an easy change is over there too.  We figured more people would read less than half of the threads that exist so we built the data to be scalable that way.  If we hear enough people say they read more than half of the threads that go through the coffeehouse, I'm sure we'd be motivated to make the change.  So far there have been 2 of you.  Smiley
    I imagined that you didn't build it that way... that's why the button is not there. Seems like all the "old" newsreaders (even Windows Mail) does have that functionality and I find it really handy because otherwise I never know what is new since my last visit. There is no such way.

    Following threads on Channel 9 is really hard!
    1) no way to get notifications
    2) hard to understand what is really new since the last visit
    3) no way to understand to which thread I replied

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    Bas said:

    Sorry about the off-topic-ness, but since we can't create new topics:

    Hey guys, we can't create new topics. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but that's why the forum isn't doing all that much these past couple of hours. If you had noticed, some sort of "such and such is wrong, we're working on it" message would have been nice.

    Of course there's no 'we're working on it' message - you can't post new messages, after all!
    </cynical>

  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

    HumanCompiler said:
    dcuccia said:
    *snip*
    Google Reader is a bit different in that it's only querying the RSS feeds you've subscribed to which is more than likely a smaller list than all posts on Channel 9.  We're querying across the whole site to come up with the list of threads and then applying a list of all posts you've read.  As I mentioned above, we're optimized for people reading less than half of all threads.  We could flip it the other direction so it's all the threads you haven't read (or make it dynamic based on how much you read for optimal efficiency), but this all work that we don't really have time for.  Again though, if enough people ask, I'm sure it could become a priority.
    Why don't the C9 team just expose a data layer so people can write their own websites/programs to hook into it. There are lots of programmers on C9 who often have good ideas as to how various things could/should be done/look, and there's a common excuse of "that would be too hard" / "the backend wouldn't allow it" / "there isn't enough time", and so the C9 team plough ahead with whatever ideas they think are best. If you exposed a common data layer and interface layer then people could make C9 into what they wanted, and trial out new ideas without the C9 team nessisarilly having to take all of the programming on themselves.

    Just a thought.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    evildictaitor said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    Why don't the C9 team just expose a data layer so people can write their own websites/programs to hook into it. There are lots of programmers on C9 who often have good ideas as to how various things could/should be done/look, and there's a common excuse of "that would be too hard" / "the backend wouldn't allow it" / "there isn't enough time", and so the C9 team plough ahead with whatever ideas they think are best. If you exposed a common data layer and interface layer then people could make C9 into what they wanted, and trial out new ideas without the C9 team nessisarilly having to take all of the programming on themselves.

    Just a thought.
    I'd love to see that happen.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    Bas said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    I'd love to see that happen.
    We would too, but "there isn't enough time".  Tongue Out

    But seriously, yah, that's always been the dream.  We really want to do it at the MicrosoftCommunities.com level though, not Channel 9 so you can query any ms community we aggregate.

    Would you like some source code instead?  Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.