Site Feedback Thread

16 posts

Chrome and the Silverlight player

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi guys. Is it possible to add Chrome to the browsers that are able to handle the Silverlight plugin? I have seen that Chrome seems to be able to execute Silverlight plugins without problems...

Have you guys taken this into consideration?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I'm not seeing a Silverlight player in any of the browsers I use. Not in IE 7, Firefox or Opera.

• User profile image
    joechung

Chrome isn't supported by Silverlight.  Windowless Silverlight doesn't work well in WebKit-based browsers on Windows like Chrome and Safari for Windows.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

ZippyV said:
    I'm not seeing a Silverlight player in any of the browsers I use. Not in IE 7, Firefox or Opera.
    Ever? If you load up a page (like this one), and wait until it is finished loading, then click the play button... do you get a silverlight player?

What about this page: http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/KYN03/ ?

We are using all new script and a new player, so let me know what happens on each of those pages... if you don't mind Smiley

For me, I get the SL2 player in both cases.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

About Chrome: I'll test, and if it works as expected then I'll add it to the list. We started out with the 'official' list, but that is the list of browsers that they are willing to state officially work with SL2, so I'm sure it is too early to put Chrome onto there. We are willing to be less formal. Oh, and Christian, if you put your gamertag into your profile and change to use your xbox avatar as your c9 avatar, it will pull directly from the xbox servers and your avatar will update whenever you make a change on the 360

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Duncanma said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    Ever? If you load up a page (like this one), and wait until it is finished loading, then click the play button... do you get a silverlight player?

What about this page: http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/KYN03/ ?

We are using all new script and a new player, so let me know what happens on each of those pages... if you don't mind Smiley

For me, I get the SL2 player in both cases.
    Ow, looks like the Silverlight player only loads when I click on the html image.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Duncanma said:
    About Chrome: I'll test, and if it works as expected then I'll add it to the list. We started out with the 'official' list, but that is the list of browsers that they are willing to state officially work with SL2, so I'm sure it is too early to put Chrome onto there. We are willing to be less formal. Oh, and Christian, if you put your gamertag into your profile and change to use your xbox avatar as your c9 avatar, it will pull directly from the xbox servers and your avatar will update whenever you make a change on the 360
    @xbox: nice. Thanks! I thought i only get the small avatar.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

ZippyV said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    Ow, looks like the Silverlight player only loads when I click on the html image.
    yep, sorry for the confusion... we did this to save the loading time of the player for anyone who didn't want it, and so that the html as is works on people's browsers with javascript disabled ... and so that if you are on a non-Silverlight compatible browser like an iPhone you can just click the play button to open the video

• User profile image
    littleguru

Duncanma said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    yep, sorry for the confusion... we did this to save the loading time of the player for anyone who didn't want it, and so that the html as is works on people's browsers with javascript disabled ... and so that if you are on a non-Silverlight compatible browser like an iPhone you can just click the play button to open the video
    Is there a way to show the play time for the video somewhere? It used to be very nice to see how long the video is. To get that now I need to click the play button...

• User profile image
    Duncanma

littleguru said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    Is there a way to show the play time for the video somewhere? It used to be very nice to see how long the video is. To get that now I need to click the play button...
    ah good point, I know that it doesn't show up anywhere for screencasts either so we'll need to figure out how to add it. I wonder if we can work it into the html that shows until you load the player?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Duncanma said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    ah good point, I know that it doesn't show up anywhere for screencasts either so we'll need to figure out how to add it. I wonder if we can work it into the html that shows until you load the player?
    You guys could add it to that line that holds the view count, share, download stuff... Is there also a way to show it for the items that are not featured? The smaller items on the front page aren't showing the playtime too...

• User profile image
    littleguru

Is there any progress on this topic? just curious.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

littleguru said:
    Is there any progress on this topic? just curious.
    More information: I discovered in my regular coding this week that in ASP.NET "Request.Browser.Browser" returns "AppleMAC-Safari" for Chrome. (Though "Chrome" does exist in the return value of "Request.UserAgent".)

• User profile image
    joechung

alwaysmc2 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    More information: I discovered in my regular coding this week that in ASP.NET "Request.Browser.Browser" returns "AppleMAC-Safari" for Chrome. (Though "Chrome" does exist in the return value of "Request.UserAgent".)

Chrome doesn't support Silverlight's windowless mode correctly so in the near future, the Silverlight creative won't appear in Chrome on the microsoft.com homepage any more either. Ditto Safari for Windows and Opera 9, though it looks like Opera 10 alpha supports windowless Silverlight just fine.

Most user agent sniffing code hasn't been updated to account for Chrome, which pretends to be Safari, for whatever reason:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.36 Safari/525.19

• User profile image
    dcuccia

joechung said:
    alwaysmc2 said:
    *snip*

Chrome doesn't support Silverlight's windowless mode correctly so in the near future, the Silverlight creative won't appear in Chrome on the microsoft.com homepage any more either. Ditto Safari for Windows and Opera 9, though it looks like Opera 10 alpha supports windowless Silverlight just fine.

Most user agent sniffing code hasn't been updated to account for Chrome, which pretends to be Safari, for whatever reason:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.36 Safari/525.19

Bummer...I want C9 in SL in Chrome! (waaaa waaaa waaaa...) 

I'm not sure I get it...
    • There are plenty of "working" examples of SL apps working in full-screen (is this different from windowless?)
    • Tim Heuer teases us with "it's unsupported but all you gotta do is":

On line 93 in Silverlight.supportedUserAgent.js, insert this line:

1: else if (ua.indexOf('Chrome') >= 0) {
         2:     slua.Browser = 'Chrome';
         3: }
    ...but I'm not a web guy, so I'm sure there's a very good reason for not enabling it.

• User profile image
    elaurentin

joechung said:
    alwaysmc2 said:
    *snip*

Chrome supports Silverlight, at least if you build it from source code.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.