Site Feedback Thread

15 posts

Post notification

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    Joiseystud

I would like to suggest that the Channel 9 website team add "post notifications" to the Channel 9 forums.  This feature helps drive traffic back to the forums.  I for one think I would be here much more if I was notified when there is a new message on a thread I have interest in...

• User profile image
    Duncanma

That is my #1 desired feature as well, so it is definitely being planned. Lots of suggestions have come up around notification methods, but I'm thinking that email is the right way to go for this... any thoughts?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Duncanma said:

That is my #1 desired feature as well, so it is definitely being planned. Lots of suggestions have come up around notification methods, but I'm thinking that email is the right way to go for this... any thoughts?

Yes, that's the normal thing, short email with subject and link.

• User profile image
    Joiseystud

Duncanma said:

I have only really seen it done through email.  I would do email as a minimum.   I prefer the sites that not only tell you there is a message, but also give you the post in the body of the email. 

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Joiseystud said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

I have only really seen it done through email.  I would do email as a minimum.   I prefer the sites that not only tell you there is a message, but also give you the post in the body of the email. 

oh yeah, we aren't facebook ... we'd give you all the info right in the email Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Duncanma said:
    Joiseystud said:
    *snip*

oh yeah, we aren't facebook ... we'd give you all the info right in the email Smiley

but I didn't think c9 kept our email addresses any more? Perplexed

• User profile image
    figuerres

GoddersUK said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

but I didn't think c9 kept our email addresses any more? Perplexed

back when they did the move to the current code there was a topic on the "how to notify" i posted to that thread that the LiveID / Passport system has the email and some of the msft forums use that to send an email notice.

duncan saw that post and kind said "Hey we missed that, we can do that later" so now it's later and....

• User profile image
    Duncanma

figuerres said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

back when they did the move to the current code there was a topic on the "how to notify" i posted to that thread that the LiveID / Passport system has the email and some of the msft forums use that to send an email notice.

duncan saw that post and kind said "Hey we missed that, we can do that later" so now it's later and....

We could do that, although I personally wouldn't want notifications sent to the hotmail account I use for my Live ID ... so I was thinking instead of letting you enter in a 'notification address', we verify via a quick email, and we use that to send any notifications you want... no direct connection to your Live ID.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Duncanma said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

We could do that, although I personally wouldn't want notifications sent to the hotmail account I use for my Live ID ... so I was thinking instead of letting you enter in a 'notification address', we verify via a quick email, and we use that to send any notifications you want... no direct connection to your Live ID.

Duncan, I recall that was said to be a problem with some MSFT policy on storing user info ?? am i confused or??

I seem to recall a bit about "we no longer store the login and email as that would violate [??????] terms .... " or something like that.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

figuerres said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

Duncan, I recall that was said to be a problem with some MSFT policy on storing user info ?? am i confused or??

I seem to recall a bit about "we no longer store the login and email as that would violate [??????] terms .... " or something like that.

You remember correctly, that was the reason behind moving to Live ID, to avoid making your email the identifying factor for a new account on C9.

It is more about it being optional *and* making sure our host is cleared to handle that type of data. Using it for notifications, not login, makes it optional and our vendor (who also handles www.asp.net and others) already has experience dealing with this type of information.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Duncanma said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

You remember correctly, that was the reason behind moving to Live ID, to avoid making your email the identifying factor for a new account on C9.

It is more about it being optional *and* making sure our host is cleared to handle that type of data. Using it for notifications, not login, makes it optional and our vendor (who also handles www.asp.net and others) already has experience dealing with this type of information.

Ahhh, ok.

Glad to know my memory chips are still working ok, so much stuff i have crammed in this grey box that i hope it does not leak Tongue Out

well anyway yeah lets get a way to know when a topic is hot/live etc....

funny to me how folks are with email i know for me it's one real address that i have had for ages, and not many others have one like it -- you know what i refer to Smiley

• User profile image
    Joiseystud

Duncanma said:

any progress on this feature request Duncan?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Joiseystud said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

any progress on this feature request Duncan?

Yes and no. Our host, where our database is, is now cleared to hold this type of info (actually they always were, but it seems it just wasn't up to date in the system). Now we have to build the actual notification in.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Duncanma said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

That sounds like the best approach - like MSDN forums use.  You can set a "Notify me if someone posts reply" to xx@xx.com

Naturally, if you want to get jump out of box - Allow some kind of Rx framework editor so we can enter our own where clause and the Observable will only get posts we want (i.e. filtered on name, or date, etc).  Then maybe create a google gadget and vista gadget.  An email would be great.

• User profile image
    Joiseystud

Duncanma said:
    Joiseystud said:
    *snip*

Yes and no. Our host, where our database is, is now cleared to hold this type of info (actually they always were, but it seems it just wasn't up to date in the system). Now we have to build the actual notification in.

I notice that this exact thing is being done on Zune.net.  Not sure if that helps you, but I didnt have to put anything special in.  Just my liveID and done...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.