Site Feedback Thread

15 posts

Smooth Streaming

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    Joiseystud

    Any chance we will get smooth streaming on Channel 9?  I have a FIOS connection and would love to stream HQ silverlight video. 

  • User profile image
    Duncanma

    yes, we are busy working on that right now actually

    I'll post some test videos soon

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Duncanma said:

    yes, we are busy working on that right now actually

    I'll post some test videos soon

    I think the biggest problem is going to be the bandwith. Lately, it's been impossible for me to watch a streaming video from C9 without the constant buffering screen.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    ZippyV said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

    I think the biggest problem is going to be the bandwith. Lately, it's been impossible for me to watch a streaming video from C9 without the constant buffering screen.

    Smooth streaming should help with that since it dynamically scales the resolution back if your bandwidth can't handle it.  That or just keep downloading the files.

  • User profile image
    dannyboy78

    ZippyV said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

    I think the biggest problem is going to be the bandwith. Lately, it's been impossible for me to watch a streaming video from C9 without the constant buffering screen.

    I'm having the same problem as well, I have 24Mb connection but trying to watch anything on Channel9 has become impossible.  I'm currently downloading one of the videos at 45KBps Crying

     

    Is anyone else having trouble?

  • User profile image
    gbrayut

    dannyboy78 said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    I'm having the same problem as well, I have 24Mb connection but trying to watch anything on Channel9 has become impossible.  I'm currently downloading one of the videos at 45KBps Crying

     

    Is anyone else having trouble?

    I'm currently downloading a WMV video at 600-1000Kbps according to the statistics screen, but since the video is coded at 4000Kbps it hast to stop and buffer again ever few minutes. I'd love the option for Smooth Streaming, but I'd hate to give up the option for full screen on a second monitor. The Silverlight full screen doesn't work, since whenever you click on a second monitor it closes the full screen mode. It would be great to have something like the pop out player on Youtube, or even better have a link for Silverlight Full Browser mode. Youtube does this with a special URL format:

     

    http://www.youtube.com/v/xpcUxwpOQ_A

     

    That way you can control the exact size of the video.

  • User profile image
    rhm

    gbrayut said:
    dannyboy78 said:
    *snip*

    I'm currently downloading a WMV video at 600-1000Kbps according to the statistics screen, but since the video is coded at 4000Kbps it hast to stop and buffer again ever few minutes. I'd love the option for Smooth Streaming, but I'd hate to give up the option for full screen on a second monitor. The Silverlight full screen doesn't work, since whenever you click on a second monitor it closes the full screen mode. It would be great to have something like the pop out player on Youtube, or even better have a link for Silverlight Full Browser mode. Youtube does this with a special URL format:

     

    http://www.youtube.com/v/xpcUxwpOQ_A

     

    That way you can control the exact size of the video.

    You're lucky. I'm getting a steady 36KB/sec downloading videos atm. I'm wondering if the whole of Channel9 is running off a domestic ADSL connection.

  • User profile image
    Joiseystud

    Duncanma said:

    yes, we are busy working on that right now actually

    I'll post some test videos soon

    Can't wait to see it.  Any idea on an ETA? 

  • User profile image
    Duncanma

    Joiseystud said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

    Can't wait to see it.  Any idea on an ETA? 

    We have the encoding done now, and the player is nearly complete. I hope to have a way for folks to test on just about any relatively new video in the near future.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Duncanma said:
    Joiseystud said:
    *snip*

    We have the encoding done now, and the player is nearly complete. I hope to have a way for folks to test on just about any relatively new video in the near future.

    Are we looking at SmoothStreamed videos with the new player or not?

  • User profile image
    Charles

    ZippyV said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

    Are we looking at SmoothStreamed videos with the new player or not?

    Not yet... You will. In the near future. Smiley

    C

  • User profile image
    Joiseystud

    Charles said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    Not yet... You will. In the near future. Smiley

    C

    How will we be able to tell?  The live channel 9 episode says it is the first smooth streaming episode... is that when it was broadcast live, or the streaming version?  It would be cool if there is a bitrate that comes up with the controls when smooth streaming is working...

  • User profile image
    Petka

    Joiseystud said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    How will we be able to tell?  The live channel 9 episode says it is the first smooth streaming episode... is that when it was broadcast live, or the streaming version?  It would be cool if there is a bitrate that comes up with the controls when smooth streaming is working...

    please see:

     

    http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/505629-Testing-Ch9-Smooth-Streaming--Take-2/

  • User profile image
    Joiseystud

    Charles said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    Not yet... You will. In the near future. Smiley

    C

    Charles,

    I understand that there was one video done as smooth streamed silverlight.  The rest of the videos on the site are still not smooth streamed including the new ones. I would have though that you guys would have started encoding all videos going forward with smooth streaming and then go back sloly but surely and re-encode all older videos. What is the plan for this going forward on the site?

    You guys have always been open with us so feel free to be open about these plans. This feature doesnt have to be developed like Win 7 underpromise/overdeliver.  I think most people on this site would rather be a part of the conversation.


    Regards,

    Justin

  • User profile image
    Petka

    Joiseystud said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    Charles,

    I understand that there was one video done as smooth streamed silverlight.  The rest of the videos on the site are still not smooth streamed including the new ones. I would have though that you guys would have started encoding all videos going forward with smooth streaming and then go back sloly but surely and re-encode all older videos. What is the plan for this going forward on the site?

    You guys have always been open with us so feel free to be open about these plans. This feature doesnt have to be developed like Win 7 underpromise/overdeliver.  I think most people on this site would rather be a part of the conversation.


    Regards,

    Justin

    Hello,

     

    Actually we started encoding for smooth streaming while back, so there will be no need to re-encode "old videos" for smooth streaming.

    Video’s will be available as soon as the new player will be available to play them.

    See my previous message for a link. Hope this answers some of your questions.

     

    -p Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.