The Sandbox Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Notes - Plain Text Editor

Back to Forum: The Sandbox
  • User profile image
    Angus

I created a very simple plain text editor, taking inspiration from Microsoft's Notepad.

My application is really intended for learning (I learned a lot doing it), but you must note that the code is untidy (I found this out in a post in the Techoff), although I think you will probably be able to understand it.

The application can Save, Open, Print, do Page Setup, change font, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Undo, Word Wrap, Find, Replace, Goto Line, and more.

Can anyone find something wrong, or something I should do?

(By the way, the setup [no source code] is available from:

[Link]

)

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    johnhead

I would call it something else .. that name is pretty well used and a known IBM trademark Big Smile

• User profile image
    MikeeeG

There is really nothing wrong with the application and/or code.
    On thing, if you intended to do or not, is that in your drop down menu, some icon representation in the  ToolStripMenuItem prperties may be missing.

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

Thanks Angus!

The "AngusEditor" is proudly on my desktop, and will be used for my xhtml1.1 and css. I'll post if any problems occur. Please let us know when you release an update, etc.?

Frank Big Smile

• User profile image
    Angus

Thanks very much! Smiley

I will be pleased to hear of any problems, and I will think about putting up some updates soon, however I am busy with school work for about a week or so.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

no drag'n'drop?

whats wrong with notepad? i understand thats for lerning but isnt it useless? but why not do something usefull and cool? weird IMO

• User profile image
    Angus

Ion Todirel wrote:
    no drag'n'drop?

whats wrong with notepad? i understand thats for lerning but isnt it useless? but why not do something usefull and cool? weird IMO

It is completely useless, but I have no ideas, and I have always wanted to do something like Notepad so I did. Nothing is wrong with Notepad, but I decided to do this anyway.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    SEP2007

Have downloaded you text editor, It looks nice. Very plain and simple.

SEP2007.

• User profile image
    Animaonline

Good work pal

• User profile image
    legend7

I'm always on the lookout for a new and improved text editor.  Forget the drag-n-drop...that's only for newbs who can't type worth a crap.

Suggested features:

* codes for header and footer
    * colored text
    * line numbering

Sammy

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

legend7 wrote:

I'm always on the lookout for a new and improved text editor.  Forget the drag-n-drop...that's only for newbs who can't type worth a crap.

Suggested features:

* codes for header and footer
    * colored text
    * line numbering

Sammy

Why would you want colored text? unless you mean syntax highlighting, which is a very much more diffcult thing to achieve than you might realize (you need to draw the control yourself, build a tokeniser and have fast algorithms for partial tokenisation so it isn't pausy as you write)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.