The Sandbox Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XNA Oriented Bounding Box Intersection Test

Back to Forum: The Sandbox
  • User profile image
    Minh

This project contains an Oriented Bounding Box (OBB) class and implements an intersection test with another OBB.

This intersection test is vital to implementing a collision detection system's broad phase (elimination) & will eventually be a part of a per-triangle collision detection system.

Usage:

- Cursor key moves one of the box around
    - Z / C rotates the box in the Z-Axis

Requirements:

- XNA / Game Studio Express
    - Visual C# Express

* If you got XNA installed, you can just run the included .EXE (in the bin\x86\Debug folder)

* This project implements Stefan Gottschalk's Separating Axis Theorem, covered by this thesis here:

Collision Queries using Oriented Bounding Boxes

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/theses/gottschalk/main.pdf

and borrowed much from the ColDet collision library at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/coldet

• User profile image
    littleguru

Cool thing, Minh.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

This is a well done example, I hope you don't mind if my students post some questions to you?  I am an adjunct instructor in game design at CSU Fullerton (Cal State), and this fits in with the class exactly.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    Minh

SoCal Sam wrote:
    This is a well done example, I hope you don't mind if my students post some questions to you?  I am an adjunct instructor in game design at CSU Fullerton (Cal State), and this fits in with the class exactly. 

I'm glad you can use it in your class. I'm happy to try to answer any questions your class may have, as long as it doesn't involve math Smiley Math is hard! I simply implemented Stefan algorithm as he describes in his thesis. I don't really understand it all.

But if you've got any question about the source code, I'll be happy to try Smiley

Oh, and stay tune for an update to this sample. For better "explorability"

• User profile image
    zygote

Nice Work Smiley

I've been meaning to translate my C++ OBB code to XNA.

I used the book "Dynamic Simulations of Multibody Systems" to come up with the algorithm.

Ziggy

Ziggyware XNA News and Tutorials

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.