The Sandbox Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Coding 4 Fun - Activity Monitor - VB

Back to Forum: The Sandbox
  • User profile image
    atkulp

Have you ever wondered how much you work in a day? You might keep track of when you start and stop, but do you really keep track of every interruption? In this article, learn about how to keep track of user activity and see how to build a component to add to the Visual Studio toolbox.

Read the article here.

(The link points to VB source code.)

• User profile image
    brillot

Never really thought much about this but yes we do spend a lot of time and do not realize

Reading now how to keep track of user activity "Visual Studio toolbox"
    thank you

• User profile image
    tharpa

I'm a vb.net programmer, so this may seem like a dumb question to a classic vb'er.  But the function 

GetLastInputInfo is completely empty, i.e.

Private Shared Function GetLastInputInfo(ByRef plii As LASTINPUTINFO) As Boolean

End Function

What is the purpose of an empty function? 

• User profile image
    jh71283

tharpa said:
    I'm a vb.net programmer, so this may seem like a dumb question to a classic vb'er.  But the function 

GetLastInputInfo is completely empty, i.e.

Private Shared Function GetLastInputInfo(ByRef plii As LASTINPUTINFO) As Boolean

End Function

What is the purpose of an empty function? 

It's not an empty function.... you'll notice it starts with <DllImport("User32.dll")> _

That signifies that the function exists in User32.dll.

• User profile image
    Nimble​Thunder

Is there a way to determine which window is active?  I'm thinking I could not only detect a switch from active to idle, but maybe I could determine which window is the active one and log how many times its the active window each time the timer goes off.  when the active window changes, I could write it to a log and time the next active window, etc

If I had that sort of log, I could then suck it into excel and maybe figure out what it was I was doing when I look back over a week's worth of data (I have no clue how much time I might be wasting in a week).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.