17 posts

Google gives away a $1,500 Pixel to attendees of Google I/O

Back to Forum: TechEd North America
  • User profile image
    Patrick​Dunlap

The three day con costs $900 to attend.

• User profile image
    JasonMD

Not every show is created equal.  I don't think I've ever been to a show that has given a $1500 product to every attendee, regardless of size of company or show, and cost of attendance.

I'd be interested in having a free Surface Pro, or even a new car.  It's completely unrealistic to expect one.

I am pretty surprised at how few vendors are reaching out to court my business, though.

• User profile image
    Patrick​Dunlap

@JasonMD: Ha, that is true.  I have actually been going through my business cards and contacting all our vendors to let them know I will be there and that I will drop by for a meet and greet.  We already buy from them, might not need more info on products, but its good to keep your channels open and have a good relationship with them.  Just makes everyone enjoy their job that much more when you like your vendors and they like their customers.  

• User profile image
    CAReed

I've been involved with Google before and they are not usually forthcoming with goodies.  So, I suspect that they are giving them away probably because they can't sell them. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Patrick​Dunlap

Ha, like the Surface RT?  

I like the Surface RT but I also like Microsoft products just like I assume Google IO attendees like Google.  

As I noted elsewhere in the forums, I don't need freebees from vendors, my company is generous with devices and subscriptions for me to do my job, I am very lucky.  I just want to be "wow'ed" by Microsoft.  I want Microsoft to do something special for me/us that attend TechEd, evangelize for their products, take their training, spend countless hours on their certifications, etc. Heck, it does not even have to involve money.  It could be Ballmer making it a point to come during all 5 days and personally meeting all 10,000 attendees to shake their hand.

• User profile image
    kmcferrin

This site has the world's worst spam filter.

Ahem:

I/O 2010:
        At the event: HTC Evo 4G
        Prior to the event: USA attendees: Motorola Droid
        Prior to the event: non-USA attendees: HTC Nexus One

I/O 2011:
        Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
        Samsung Series 5 Chromebook

I/O 2012:
        Samsung Galaxy Nexus
        Asus Nexus 7
        Nexus Q
        Samsung Chromebox

I/O 2013:
        Pixel laptop/Chromebook

So yeah, they do give away hardware.  They're locked in a bit of a battle with MSFT at the moment, trying to win the hearts and minds of developers.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

@kmcferrin: did we block for putting in a ton of links? Sorry about that... we've been seeing a ton of that type of spam so I re-did the pre-Akismet spam filter to check for links specifically on relatively new users

• User profile image
    kmcferrin

@Duncanma:  No, that's the part that was really weird.  Both times I've been flagged were cases where I had written out a somewhat long-ish reply, but they were all link free.  In the most recent case I had cut and pasted some text from the the web, but I even pasted it into notepad first to remove the formatting and convert it to plaintext but it still got flagged.  In the end I just removed the reply/quote parts and it went right through.

• User profile image
    Derricknp

@patrickbdunlap  Yes I agree MS should do something as a gesture for their customers. I hope they'll give us something big or small as a token of appreciation.

• User profile image
    Derricknp

I have not been to TechED for the last 5 years. I remembered back then Microsoft usually setup a deal with hardware vendor such as HP one year and offered selected model of laptop to TechED attendees at killer price.

Did MS offers any deals or giving away any free stuff at TechED the last 5 years?

• User profile image
    worldramp

Since Microsoft is now getting into the hardware business, it seems it would be wise to offer a very aggressive deal on the Windows RT Tablets.   Almost all my vendors have NFR versions of their products and Microsoft should offer a deal.   As a small company I spend substantial money every year on different technologies to make sure that I am up to date, and will typically only deal with companies that offer some NFR.   The idea of "pay to play" is very evident in this industry, but please Microsoft prepare a very aggressive deal on a Windows RT tablet.

• User profile image
    kmcferrin

Or a Surface Pro. Or a smartphone. Lumia 928 is looking pretty slick right about now...

• User profile image
    Burrito

For what it's worth, Microsoft gave away netbooks at TechEd Australia a few years ago.. http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/26004-microsoft-to-give-tech-ed-attendees-hp-netbook-with-ethical-choice-attached

• User profile image
    Derricknp

Microsoft should gave away a Surface tablet or a Nokia phone to 10,000 something attendees so they can add that to "unit sold" in this coming quarter earning report. 

• User profile image
    groetman

Dream of Derricknp. Although I would love one. I can't see us get more then the duffel bag and some t-shirt. But I would love to be wrong about this one. Only time will tell. I am sure it will be a great event even without the giveaways.

Can't wait to get to NOLA

• User profile image
    H4WL3YW00D

LOL @ everyone.  Im just stoked to be attending.  See ya at the jazz clubs.

• User profile image
    mfifer

I'm looking forward to TWO free things:  jack and squat!

I'll be otherwise sucking everyone's brains dry of Azure and Dynamic Access Control info and going home happy!

Mmmm...brains...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.