TechEd North America Thread

4 posts

Nokia Lumia 1020

Back to Forum: TechEd North America
  • User profile image
    Jedicary

All,

I was wondering if any of you know if this "AT&T" exclusive phone will eventually be available at other carriers?  I went to AT&T and the store rep (who was absolutely 100% better than any customer service I have received from Verizon) recommended that I not go with AT&T because the coverage where I live is "marginal".  He said the phones will probably not have service while in the house.  He mentioned that we can use a booster going through the internet, BUT, the main reason we have cell phones is so that if our phones go down from Time Warner we have a backup (wife works from home and needs to have telephone service).

I'm very impressed with the 1020 and really would like to get this, but with only a single carrier, and a carrier that does NOT work well in my area, it's very disappointing.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

• User profile image
    Jedicary

Wow... not a single person replied in over a month!!  Have to say that even though it's slightly off topic I'm a bit disappointed.

Luckily for me I had a friend who had AT&T and they came by and tested; We get good coverage!!  So, I made the switch from Verizon to AT&T.  I have to admit, I love this windows phone!!  I read the manual written by Paul Therrott, which helped quite a bit.  I purchased a 920 for my wife (first smartphone she's ever had) and a 1020 for myself.  It took a bit of time to get familiar with the interface, but once we understood the basic navigation, it becomes clear (and quickly) that a Windows phone is a cut above the rest.

This phone is quite snappy... very fast.  I had the Droid Charge... which I loved when I got it 2 years ago... and switching platforms was clearly the right choice.  First, Verizon wouldn't let me have two things opened at once... If I was on a call, I couldn't look up a contact.  No such limitations anymore.  I have no regrets on switching.   At first, I was thinking that I would like this phone only for the camera and video recording abilities.  Surprisingly, I love everything about this phone!!  I'm so tired of hearing that Microsoft has very few apps.... the fact of the matter is... they DO have a lot of apps, and so far EVERY one I've downloaded has been very high quality!! 

I've played around with the camera a bit... and naturally... I love it.  So much better than anything else available.  Easily the best camera on a phone at this current time.  Nothing even comes close to this Lumia 1020.  I was wondering, if you have read any of this and you happen to have a Windows phone, what features do you like about it?   Hopefully someone out there has a windows phone, and can contribute... if not... well, I guess it's just going to be me posting in this tread.

• User profile image
    Jedicary

Okay... after the announcement today I feel even better about my purchase!!  I know now that MS put their full weight behind this product and is backing it!!  I was a bit worried that it will be like the Zune, a great product that flops badly. Seeing that MS bought out Nokia this phone and brand should be around for at least a couple of years.  The technology is quite solid, and I'm extremely happy with this phone.

I'll ask again if anyone has any thoughts about the Microsoft/Nokia connection?   Was this a good move to buy Nokia, or is this yet another product in a long list of good products that is doomed to fail?

• User profile image
    MarkDeFalco

, Jedicary wrote

Okay... after the announcement today I feel even better about my purchase!!  I know now that MS put their full weight behind this product and is backing it!!  I was a bit worried that it will be like the Zune, a great product that flops badly. Seeing that MS bought out Nokia this phone and brand should be around for at least a couple of years.  The technology is quite solid, and I'm extremely happy with this phone.

I'll ask again if anyone has any thoughts about the Microsoft/Nokia connection?   Was this a good move to buy Nokia, or is this yet another product in a long list of good products that is doomed to fail?

The TechEd NA forums do not see much use until closer to the event. But there is a good amount of traffic that goes through the Coffehouse (our general chat area).

As for WP features, we were just talking today at lunch about being able to rearrange the home screen based on the seasons.  For example, I just moved all my ESPN/Fantasy sports apps to my home screen again since the NFL season is starting up. When I was on site in Madrid for TechEd EU, I swapped my SMS icon with WhatsApp.

Pinning people to my home screen is probably my favorite feature, though.  The ability to see that I have 10 text messages or emails is great, but being able to see, from the home screen, that I have notifications from specific people is fantastic.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.