TechEd North America Thread

39 posts

TechEd 2015?

Back to Forum: TechEd North America
  • User profile image
    HenrikE

Is there any way to know already when and where TechEd 2015 will be held? I have been to all TechEd for 15 years and know the value of planning early (hotels, travel etc..).

• User profile image
    marcrey

IIRC it is usually announced at the end of the current TechEd

• User profile image
    khaos13

Every time I've gone you find it on the back of the medium conference information booklet.  You get that at registration.  Last year someone speculated that 2014 would be San Francisco based on some convention hall booking they found.  That didn't pan out.  So unless they decide to tell us early plan on early Sunday morning having someone in a precon tweet out next years location.

• User profile image
    CAReed

Houston was announced on the back of the 2013 conference book, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing this year.  So, register early...

• User profile image
    AdamMachanic

There is that rumor floating around that this is the last TechEd NA... Has it been debunked? (I just googled a bit and could find neither confirmation nor denial.)

• User profile image
    RallyJoe

Yes, I believe there was an AMA with Brad that clearly stated MS is behind TechEd going forward.

• User profile image
    AnotherITguy
  • User profile image
    Fredrik​Nilsson

I wouldn't bet on that 😊 Soon we know

• User profile image
    RallyJoe

I am willing to bet it will be LA or Orlando next year.   After 2 years in the center of the country they need to go to one of the coasts again.  They haven't been west in a while.

• User profile image
    khaos13

Hopefully not LA.  That was by far the worst convention center for Tech Ed, at least since 2008.  That was a down year attendance wise and that place was crowded and laid out poorly.

• User profile image
    AdamMachanic

I really enjoyed LA. But I like visiting LA. The attendee party, however, was complete garbage.

• User profile image
    khaos13

LA was nice.  Conference was good.  Convention center is just set up poorly for an event like this.  Lots of walking between 2 distinct areas without much in the middle.  Always seemed crowded and I'm pretty sure attendance was under or around 7K instead of 10K like most other recent years.

• User profile image
    VirtualTech

Since I didn't make the wait list for TechEd NA 2014, I'm very much looking forward to attending  next year.  Please share if the dates/location information is made available during next weeks conference.  Have fun guys, I will be attending the Live Streaming events and doing my best to pretend I'm there.

• User profile image
    Flemming​Frandsen

@VirtualTech:Just added new thread "Registration substitute" if you are still interested in participating 2014

• User profile image
    1wisegeek

@AnotherITguy:That would be nice.  Maybe a party at a resort without 30 min lines for a 30 sec ride

• User profile image
    CAReed

I'm having my doubts about zapaday.com: They have Orlando listed for both 2015 and 2016 for TechEd NA and Amsterdam for the two years of TechEd Europe; however, TechEd Europe 2014 is still listed as TBA....

I'm still thinking Orlando or somewhere on the West Coast (SD or LA).

• User profile image
    grail63

, AdamMachanic wrote

There is that rumor floating around that this is the last TechEd NA... Has it been debunked? (I just googled a bit and could find neither confirmation nor denial.)

I can't see MS killing off probably their biggest conference especially given the fact that it sold out this year. They just killed off MMS and people are still really upset about that. The community would certainly be up in arms if they axed Teched as well....Plus it costs a small fortune to go to these things so there is money to be made.

• User profile image
    AdamMachanic

, grail63 wrote

*snip*

I can't see MS killing off probably their biggest conference especially given the fact that it sold out this year. They just killed off MMS and people are still really upset about that. The community would certainly be up in arms if they axed Teched as well....Plus it costs a small fortune to go to these things so there is money to be made.

Actually, to the contrary: I've heard numerous times through the years that Microsoft loses money on these events. (They're considered to be loss leaders.) And actually that's reasonable; yes, it's expensive to attend, but conference facilities are insanely expensive to rent. And food and beverage costs are downright shocking.

Microsoft just announced that in Australia the event is moving to a smaller 2-day format that will travel to various cities over the course of the year. I think that's probably more sustainable for everyone involved and that we'll see something similar in the US. (Pure conjecture on my part!)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.