TechEd North America Thread

39 posts

TechEd 2015?

Back to Forum: TechEd North America
  • User profile image
    CAReed

Actually, we've already seen the reduction in the US (NA) with a four-day conference down from five days.  Of course, part of the decision process involved the fact that many people bailed on Friday sessions because they've already been to the Attendee party and they didn't want to travel on Saturday.  (Personally, I loved the Friday sessions because of this reason as they were never crowded.  Plus, in the past, some of the presenters would bring giveaways as incentive to stay throughout; I got several books, shirts, and hats from these sessions.)

• User profile image
    AdamMachanic

, CAReed wrote

Actually, we've already seen the reduction in the US (NA) with a four-day conference down from five days.  Of course, part of the decision process involved the fact that many people bailed on Friday sessions because they've already been to the Attendee party and they didn't want to travel on Saturday.  (Personally, I loved the Friday sessions because of this reason as they were never crowded.  Plus, in the past, some of the presenters would bring giveaways as incentive to stay throughout; I got several books, shirts, and hats from these sessions.)

I have absolutely no problem with that change!

In 2006 in Boston I was assigned to do a chalk talk in the TLC at 8:00 a.m., the morning after the attendee party. While a full breakout session on the same topic was happening simultaneously (starting at 8:30). Brutal! The six people who showed up loved it <g>

• User profile image
    CAReed

, AdamMachanic wrote

*snip*

Actually, to the contrary: I've heard numerous times through the years that Microsoft loses money on these events. (They're considered to be loss leaders.) And actually that's reasonable; yes, it's expensive to attend, but conference facilities are insanely expensive to rent. And food and beverage costs are downright shocking.

Microsoft just announced that in Australia the event is moving to a smaller 2-day format that will travel to various cities over the course of the year. I think that's probably more sustainable for everyone involved and that we'll see something similar in the US. (Pure conjecture on my part!)

Keep in mind that one of the reasons for this conference is the face time with vendors.  You cannot get that from a virtual conference, so this is huge.  In fact, one of the major events of TechEd (probably in the top two with the Keynote) is the TechExpo reception. (I wonder why you can't get discount baseball tickets for Monday????)

• User profile image
    AdamMachanic

, CAReed wrote

*snip*

Keep in mind that one of the reasons for this conference is the face time with vendors.  You cannot get that from a virtual conference, so this is huge.  In fact, one of the major events of TechEd (probably in the top two with the Keynote) is the TechExpo reception. (I wonder why you can't get discount baseball tickets for Monday????)

In the SQL Server world there are a couple of virtual conferences and one of them even includes a virtual show floor. It is quite popular and they get a considerable number of sponsors every time they do it.

Would I want to attend such a thing? No. I like the in-person interaction. But apparently it can work.

I'm not sure how we got to the topic of virtual, though. The smaller two-day traveling events would still be in person. It would be less expensive for Microsoft, less expensive for attendees, and potentially easier for sponsors (especially regional companies, e.g. consulting firms). So I think it is a good model, even though I personally enjoy the mega-conferences.

• User profile image
    mfifer

I LOVED Friday sessions, especially when they repeated the most popular from earlier in the week!  But I do understand the logic behind.

Regarding the benefit of vendor face-to-face, it can sometimes be super helpful when comparing two or more vendors similar solutions -- you can ask questions of each and sometimes the questions or answers from one vendor lead you to ask similar of another (that hadn't been previously anticipated) much in the same way auto shows are useful for buyers to run back and forth between models when car shopping.

Anyway, what was the subject?  TechEd 2015 in Juneau, Alaska?  ;)

, CAReed wrote

• User profile image
    Fredrik​Nilsson

I have More then a feeling that it's Boston [H]

• User profile image
    bweissman

, Fredrik​Nilsson wrote

I have More then a feeling that it's Boston [H]

Which I would like :)

• User profile image
    Amreimer

@FredrikNilsson:More than a feeling -  I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

• User profile image
    CAReed

, Amreimer wrote

@FredrikNilsson:More than a feeling -  I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

If that's the case, then Don't Look Back....:P

• User profile image
    Fredrik​Nilsson

I believe we Can Make It 😎

• User profile image
    csharpengin​eer

I'll have Peace Of Mind when I see that We're Ready for Someone to announce next year's location.  Until then I won't be Cryin', I'll just Walk On.

• User profile image
    Fredrik​Nilsson

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner 😎 mr @csharpengineer

• User profile image
    thegotoguy

So surely by now somebody must know???

• User profile image
    adnorton

So far I have heard that there is one but nobody has an idea where or when. Maybe they will go the MEC route and have it every 18 months or so.

• User profile image
    Bendimus

I hope they at least have a banner up with a location tomorrow. My CFO likes to know almost a year in advance where people are going, so it messes with my travel plans if MS doesn't have anything set yet. Even if the show is over, let us know and I'll plan on going to something else.

• User profile image
    HenrikE

For all of you following this thread, I have found out during the WPC in DC this week that information about TechEd 2015 will be released next week.

Best regards

Henrik

• User profile image
    DBegley

@HenrikE:Yes. Released this morning! Details here:  http://aka.ms/May2015_SaveTheDate   

Follow TechEd on FacebookTwitter and subscribe to the TechEd Insiders Newsletter for event updates.

• User profile image
    MrOz83

Sweet, i don't even have to travel.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.