Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Vista API managed or unmanaged

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    tintinthepi​rate

Hey,
        I know Vista is not going to be as ambitious as it was planed to be 2 years ago, so my question is , is Vista going to expose all new cool features in managed code or unmanaged code, if mixed, which one is on top of which(which is the "native" one)
    Thanks!

• User profile image
    z33driver

Google WinFX.  You can download the WinFX beta on MSDN.

WinFX is the next generation managed API.  I believe only device driver APIs will be unmanaged.  Cool new features like Avalon and Indigo are managed.

Hit Google and msdn.microsoft.com...  Also there's a bunch of Channel 9/.NET Show/etc. vids going back a few months if not years Smiley

• User profile image
    androidi

There's not much information regarding a native API to the new features but it seems that there will be still a lot of COM and Vista is just a first step into more managed world, providing the basic foundations for new feats. It is kinda hard to build upon foundations that are still in Beta you know.

• User profile image
    footballism

z33driver wrote:

WinFX is the next generation managed API.  I believe only device driver APIs will be unmanaged.  Cool new features like Avalon and Indigo are managed.

If my memory is still reliable, I heard Brad Adams once said in .NET Show that Win32 APIs are still available in Longhorn(currently called Vista)

• User profile image
    z33driver

True, but the "cool new features" will be in WinFX Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

z33driver wrote:
    True, but the "cool new features" will be in WinFX Smiley

but they will still be usable to a com based app in one of two ways:

1)  the new stuff will have much of it written in C++ with com / classic windows entry points and managed C++ classes exposed to the .net side.

2)  even if a chunk is native C# or other managaged languages it will *have to* be registed for com interop / pinvoke to allow non managed apps to call it. 

about why I say this:  MSFT has to allow folks to work with the new OS from non-msft tech.  otherwise they would run into problems with adoption, legal and other areas....

no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face so to speak.

• User profile image
    bonk

WinFX is a completely managed set of APIs based on .NET 2.0. Of course a lot of it relies on win32 under the hood but that is abstracted away. But there is a lot of unmanaged APIs for Windows Vista too. The Windows Imaging Codec API (wich is part of WinFX) has some unmanaged interfaces to write custom imaging codecs and to provide them to the OS (its basically a .h and a .lib). Outside WinFX there are things like DirectShow (might get a different name ..) or WGF that continue to be unmanaged APIs (allthough there will be a managed WGF too). I was told that the win32API (user32) will be enhanced for windows vista too. In the Windows Vista SDK you will find several other vistaspecific APIs that are unmanaged and let you do "cool stuff".

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

When the unmanaged SDK is finally released (IMO, there should have been one released with Beta 1) I plan to resume a series I started on my blog around what's new for unmanaged developers. I mean, developers who work with unmanaged code.

The existing posts in that series are effectively invalidated; Microsoft restarted the project sometime after last year's WinHEC, at which build 4074 was released.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    my blog around what's new for unmanaged developers

I'm guessing your blog follows the life of freelance developers then? Wink

• User profile image
    bonk

W3bbo wrote:
    Mike Dimmick wrote:my blog around what's new for unmanaged developers

I'm guessing your blog follows the life of freelance developers then? Wink

He could as well mean developers that have messy desk.

• User profile image
    bonk

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    When the unmanaged SDK is finally released (IMO, there should have been one released with Beta 1) I plan to resume a series I started on my blog around what's new for unmanaged developers. I mean, developers who work with unmanaged code.

The existing posts in that series are effectively invalidated; Microsoft restarted the project sometime after last year's WinHEC, at which build 4074 was released.

Thank you for the hint to your blog. I have found some very valuable information regarding unmanaged Vista development. May I ask where you have all that info from (chnages to win32 API, common controls, windows base) ?

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

I simply used a difference tool (I actually used DiffMerge from SourceGear's Vault source control product) to compare the headers from the Longhorn 4074 SDK to the then-current Platform SDK. From there I used my knowledge of what was announced at PDC 2003 and WinHEC 2004, and the names of the functions, to take guesses at what the new APIs do.

I stalled because a lot of the declarations were 'decorated' with new macros, which presumably guide PreFIX and PreFAST, and any other static analysis tools, in the correct use of the functions. The addition of these decorations, and in some cases changing from an old style to a newer one, caused a lot of 'noise' with lines coming up as changed when in fact there wasn't any real change.

I'd thought about writing a program to strip out these macros to reduce the noise level, but I was doing this in my own time. I don't spend a lot of time coding outside of work hours. I still hadn't tackled the issue when Microsoft announced the project reset, making the value of any further analysis dubious.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    When the unmanaged SDK is finally released (IMO, there should have been one released with Beta 1)

What do you mean? There is a PSDK for Vista beta 1. It's available on connect.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.