Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Converting VS2005 to VS2003

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    javamdk

Low and behold, I broke Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. I have no clue how, but it said the compiler was broken and it needed to be reinstalled. I thought that possibly it just needed to be restarted, but in fact it was pretty corrupt. All, I did was open a bunch of mixed solutions (VB, C# and C++). Then everything went hay wire and kept launching “send reports” -- which I kept sending to Microsoft. So maybe that can be analyzed.

At any rate, the apps I was writing in VS2005 won't work on VS2003, since it's a newer version. Is there any program that can convert this back to VS2003?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Depends...

the VS2005 SLN and Project files can be converted easily, yes. But if you were writing any managed applications that utilise any of the new or modified assemblies then you might have a few problems.

But I can't see any real problems with converting VS2005 C++ to VS2003 C++. But there would be problems with downgrading from VS2003 C++ to VS6 C++ (since the VC6 compiler wasn't ISO compliant)

• User profile image
    javamdk

Right, most of my solutions don't use the new assemblies. I could go in and just remove all my solutions, leaving my source then go ahead and re-build under the VS2003 hood.

I know there's an application that can convert the solutions from VS 2003 to VS2002. Also, I know in VS2005 it automatically converts the solutions from VS2003 to VS2005. Perhaps, I'll just have to rebuild.

But yeah, I have no intention to go convert down to VS6 -- those days are past us now, lol

• User profile image
    El Bruno

javamdk wrote:

Right, most of my solutions don't use the new assemblies. I could go in and just remove all my solutions, leaving my source then go ahead and re-build under the VS2003 hood.

I know there's an application that can convert the solutions from VS 2003 to VS2002. Also, I know in VS2005 it automatically converts the solutions from VS2003 to VS2005. Perhaps, I'll just have to rebuild.

But yeah, I have no intention to go convert down to VS6 -- those days are past us now, lol

mmm ... you can try rebuilding the complete project/s, building a new solution. But I can't find a tool to migrate from VS2005 to Vs2003 ... sorry Big Smile       

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

javamdk wrote:
    Right, most of my solutions don't use the new assemblies.

If you use any Windows Forms or Web Forms code you're screwed, because the VS2005 designer uses partial classes which isn't supported by .Net 1.1

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:
    javamdk wrote:Right, most of my solutions don't use the new assemblies.

If you use any Windows Forms or Web Forms code you're screwed, because the VS2005 designer uses partial classes which isn't supported by .Net 1.1

And ASP.NET projects in VS2005 is file system based, not IIS or Frontpage Extension based as it is in VS2003

• User profile image
    javamdk

Yeah, I just went ahead and rebuilt 30+ projects... would be nice to have an application that does that for me *hint hint* Smiley

The apps that were using some of the new assemblies, I just tossed out on CD. I'll put VS2005 on my virtual machine, and then load those solutions/projects up on there. That way if anything did happen, I won't be screaming so badly. Also, I could be activily beta testing escrow in the meantime. hmmm

• User profile image
    johan_london
  • User profile image
    figuerres

you could not re-install vs 05 ??

or you did not want to ??

• User profile image
    javamdk

I really need some sort of notification whenever people reply to a thread; is this even possible? Anywho, sorry it took long to reply.

joachim wrote:
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you and thanks to the guy who created it =)
    figuerres wrote:
    you could not re-install vs 05 ??

I would be able to re-install vs05, I just chose not. Instead, I'm keeping beta 2 on my vpc WS2003 Server - that way I won't get so frustrated if it ever does break again.
    figuerres wrote:
    or you did not want to ??

I do enjoy testing new things in Whidbey, though I'll keep all the betas on my vhd. It probably should have been there in the first place, but go figure.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.