Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What Options Available for Lost User Passwords in WIN XP

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    a !

What Options are Available for Lost User Passwords in WINXP Mad

• User profile image
    LeighS
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Extract the SAM file then run it through an NTLM Hash Brute-Force app.

Time to crack 'em depends on your system, expect an Athlon64 3200 w/ 1GB RAM to do it in about 4 hours.

But I'm not sure if the brute-forcing algorithm is multithreaded or can take advantage of an SMP environment. But I know that a medium-sized beowulf cluster can sort you out within minutes.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

a ! wrote:
    What Options are Available for Lost User Passwords in WINXP
    Use the floppy disk you made to reset the password.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

W3bbo wrote:
    Extract the SAM file then run it through an NTLM Hash Brute-Force app.

Time to crack 'em depends on your system, expect an Athlon64 3200 w/ 1GB RAM to do it in about 4 hours.

But I'm not sure if the brute-forcing algorithm is multithreaded or can take advantage of an SMP environment. But I know that a medium-sized beowulf cluster can sort you out within minutes.

I thought that WinXP used NTLM v2 which was a whole lot more secure than NTLM.
    You could always search for "reset user password" in google and find many solutions there.

W3bbo recommending someone crack a password? Tsk tsk tsk. Or is it legal to crack your own passwords on your own machine?
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Loadsgood wrote:
    W3bbo recommending someone crack a password? Tsk tsk tsk. Or is it legal to crack your own passwords on your own machine?

Its legal if its your machine and/or you have explicit permission.

The Computer Misuse Act (UK) defines "unauthorised access" as a crime, but since it's your computer, you grant yourself permission.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.