Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

OpenNETCF ConnectionManager Problem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cpod

Anybody have much experience with the OpenNETCF library?

I have used the ConnectionManager to make a RAS connection, call some methods in a web service and then disconnect. The connection manager does whatever it does and the connection is made but when I disconnect it does not hang up the modem. I put together a simple program together that does the connect, calls a method in the web service and disconnects. Or doesn’t disconnect. If I remove the call to the web service then the disconnect works and the modem hangs up.

I have checked the connection manager status at each point up to calling disconnect and it is set to Connected. This is provided I have set exclusive to false, if I use exclusive then the status is Connection Failed once the web service has been called.

Any ideas anyone?
    Chris.

• User profile image
    NeilCo

You do not need to use the managed Connection Manager APIs if you are simply calling a Web service. As I detailed on my blog back in July 2004, the Web services stack in the .NET Compact Framework actually calls out to the native ConnMgr APIs to establish a connection, so there is no need for you to do this yourself.

Blog article link: Inside the Web Service Stack

--Neil

--
     Neil Cowburn, MVP
     Co-Founder
     OpenNETCF.org

• User profile image
    cpod

NeilCo wrote:
    You do not need to use the managed Connection Manager APIs if you are simply calling a Web service. As I detailed on my blog back in July 2004, the Web services stack in the .NET Compact Framework actually calls out to the native ConnMgr APIs to establish a connection, so there is no need for you to do this yourself.

Blog article link: Inside the Web Service Stack

--Neil

--
     Neil Cowburn, MVP
     Co-Founder
     OpenNETCF.org

Neil,

Thanks for the reply and what you are saying is fine for a GPRS connection. I need to make a RAS connection, which as you say the web service call does initiate the connection but the problem is how do I disconnect the "data call" once I have finished?

In your blog you also talk about System.Net.ConnMgr, am I missing something as I cannot find any reference to this?

Chris.

• User profile image
    hamid_shahid

Hi there,
    We are getting a similar problem.

Actually, the context of the problem is that that we have an application running on WinCE platform that continuously download data updates from the server over GPRS. The behaviour we see is that it after about 26-28 hours it starts getting a timeout exception when calling the webservice on the server. We thought that perhaps disconnecting and reconnecting GPRS would have solve this problem when when we attempt to disconnect and connect again we get the above mentioend problem.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Hamid Shahid
    Atos Origin, UK

• User profile image
    Muffadal

hamid_shahid said:
    Hi there,
    We are getting a similar problem.

Actually, the context of the problem is that that we have an application running on WinCE platform that continuously download data updates from the server over GPRS. The behaviour we see is that it after about 26-28 hours it starts getting a timeout exception when calling the webservice on the server. We thought that perhaps disconnecting and reconnecting GPRS would have solve this problem when when we attempt to disconnect and connect again we get the above mentioend problem.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Hamid Shahid
    Atos Origin, UK

Hi Hamid,

Were you able the solve the problem? I am also facing similar problem with my GPRS connection it works fine for about the 40- 48 hrs and the, the device show connect but cannot access the webservice. I am using .NET Compact Framework 3.5 & win ce 5.0.

Any help very much appreciated.

Muffadal J.

Dubai, UAE

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.