Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

a performance problem about Web Serivce

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    leighsword

we have a WS server(P3 500,256M, win2000 server, W1) that installed the high performance ATL web serivce, and another is a monster Database Server(Xeon 800 1G, win2000 server, D) that installed the SQL server 2000 enterprise editdion.

the problem is the server not responds when a ton of users(100+) to update data (about 10M) from the WS server in the same time.

the code is reviewed by 3 best developers from our company, it seems best optimize to us the code are.

today our customer decide to buy a new WS server(W2), but how to build the parallel computers? they only got one domain name(such as domain.cn) .

client1    client...   clientn
          |       |          |
    http://domain.cn:80/xxxSevice/xxxSevice.dll?Handler=Default
                   /  \
                  W1   W2(how to add the new W2 server to here?)
                   \   /
             D(database server)

• User profile image
    Tensor
  • User profile image
    leighsword

Tensor wrote:

thanks a lot.
    i need talk to my boss, because the solution require the Win2000 Advanced server, but our customer only has Win2000 server, you know , it's a small business, is there a Load Blanacing software running on win2000 server, not the advanced server?

• User profile image
    Tensor

I'm afraid I'm no expert - I just know thats the technology you need to be looking at.

There must be someone here who has experience with load balancing?

• User profile image
    AndyI

You really need to be looking at a hardware solution i.e a load balancing switch which will also give you fault tolerence.

Here's a link grabbed at random from a google search

http://www.kemptechnologies.com/server-load-balancing.shtml

• User profile image
    blowdart

AndyI wrote:
    You really need to be looking at a hardware solution i.e a load balancing switch which will also give you fault tolerence.

However if you don't care about fault tolerance there's round robin DNS. It is *NOT* load balancing however. Basically you assign 2 ips to the same dns entry, and the dns server will serve one IP, then the next, then back to the first and so on. So it will split requests between servers, but it will not be equal, and it won't be fault tolerant in any way.

• User profile image
    leighsword

Tensor wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm no expert - I just know thats the technology you need to be looking at.

There must be someone here who has experience with load balancing?

we have catched the problem, because the schedule of Norton enterprise(the rtvscan.exe process, it takes place at 2:00 PM,and keep a long time) makes CPU stage 100%.

if i was boss, i will fire the stupid customer supporter, he told customer that our application sick before we(programmers) found the problem.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.