Tech Off Thread

24 posts

ASP .net vs PHP

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    PeterH

I'm coming to the end of my hosting deal and am in the middle of deciding whether to choose a different deal or just continue with my current deal.

My main reason for switching would be to get MS Hosting to use ASP .net rather than PHP.

The PHP advantages are (disadvantages of ASP .net):

* I already have extensive knowledge in PHP
    * The current system uses PHP

The disadvantages are (advantages of ASP .net):

* I can't use Visual Studio to code PHP, so I'm stuck with either Dreamweaver or Notepad (Frontpage is not an option)

* I'm not sure about this one, but if I decide to write a windows application in C# that connects with my site will it be easier to do if I'm connecting with a .net languages (ASP .net) rather than PHP?

What does everyone else think about the two languages, and which one would you choose (taking into consideration what I've already said and also the higher price of MS Hosting)

Thanks,

Peter

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Most Windows hosting providers support PHP via the ISAPI or CGI, so that's not an issue.

Plus ASP.NET1.1 hosting is pretty cheap thesedays, its ASP.NET2.0 that'll cost you. But ASP.NET2.0 apps aren't backwards compatible with ASP.NET1.1, so you'll need VS2003.

• User profile image
    PeterH

Do you know if the major host (e.g. 1 & 1) will be switching over to ASP .net 2.0 in the near future? November 7th?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PeterH wrote:
    Do you know if the major host (e.g. 1 & 1) will be switching over to ASP .net 2.0 in the near future? November 7th?

*HA!*

1&1 are a good ISP, yes, "generally speaking", but for a niche market, such as us developers, they're horrid.

1&1 only offered ASP.NET until mid 2003, and even then it was prohibitvily expensive. Their business plan revolves around Linux and PHP customers, since there's a larger ROI with those.

IMO, you're best going with a smaller ISP... one that specilises in developers, they usually have better technical support and give you more control over your hosting.

Or... just get a dedicated server. If you know where to look, you can get a 2.4Ghz Celeron w/ 512MB + 60GB HDD (running WS2003 Standard), and Dual-OC92 connection to the internet for just £25 a month.

• User profile image
    PeterH

W3bbo wrote:

IMO, you're best going with a smaller ISP... one that specilises in developers, they usually have better technical support and give you more control over your hosting.

Or... just get a dedicated server. If you know where to look, you can get a 2.4Ghz Celeron w/ 512MB + 60GB HDD (running WS2003 Standard), and Dual-OC92 connection to the internet for just £25 a month.

There was a point at which I was going to get a dedicated server but it's a little to much over budget so I decided against the idea.

Can you recommend any ISPs that specialize in developers? 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PeterH wrote:
    Can you recommend any ISPs that specialize in developers? 

Hmmm

Well, there's Orcsweb.com, they guys who host Channel9.

Actually, if you open VS2003, go to "Online Resources", then choose "Web Hosting" from the list to the side and you'll be presented with a list of "Microsoft approved" hosting providers.

• User profile image
    KenIII

I have used a few for my .net projects.  HostMySite.com is a good one, although they are a little heavy on price at times, but my personal favorite is www.hostnexus.com.  They have a bucket load of features, Plesk control panel and other pretty nice features that have made it real easy for me.

• User profile image
    sanatgersap​pa
  • User profile image
    darklotus

I just wish ASP.NET hosting was as inexpensive as PHP hosting. They are both free technologies. But some hosts seem to add a few more dollars on top for an ASP.NET account.

• User profile image
    Maurits

darklotus wrote:
    I just wish ASP.NET hosting was as inexpensive as PHP hosting. They are both free technologies. But some hosts seem to add a few more dollars on top for an ASP.NET account.

Well, ASP.NET requires IIS... which requires Windows... which is not free.  PHP can be built on Apache and Linux, both of which are free.

• User profile image
    PeterH

Thanks for everyones input, but looking back to the initial question I was hoping one of you could tell me if this was true:

If I decide to write a windows application in C# that connects with my site will it be easier to do if I'm connecting with a .net languages (ASP .net) rather than PHP?

• User profile image
    sbc

Maurits wrote:
    darklotus wrote:I just wish ASP.NET hosting was as inexpensive as PHP hosting. They are both free technologies. But some hosts seem to add a few more dollars on top for an ASP.NET account.

Well, ASP.NET requires IIS... which requires Windows... which is not free.  PHP can be built on Apache and Linux, both of which are free.

Plus you often get MySQL with all but the lowest tier accounts. For a decent database for ASP.NET development you really need SQL Server (Access is not as scalable or fast as MySQL), and with some hosts you have to pay a lot more for that.

Windows hosting is more expensive than LAMP hosting, but if you are familiar with Microsoft technologies and can afford it, then it may be a good choice.

If you are familiar with a certain language (PHP/ASP.NET/Perl) and have already written a lot of code for it, then it is best to stay with it. To move could be expensive (in time and money (more so with Windows)).

SQL Server sometimes seems a bit too much when MySQL would be more than adequate in many cases. Hopefully with SQL Server 2005 Express we will not be limited to Access for the cheaper Windows solutions (I think it has come about because of MySQL - developers wanted a free database that was far more powerful than Access, but didn't need it to be as good as SQL Server).

• User profile image
    sbc

PeterH wrote:
    If I decide to write a windows application in C# that connects with my site will it be easier to do if I'm connecting with a .net languages (ASP .net) rather than PHP?

Not really, because you can just write a web service and you don't need a specific platform or technology to do that. There are lots of articles on how to do that with both PHP and ASP.NET.

• User profile image
    PeterH

sbc wrote:
    PeterH wrote: If I decide to write a windows application in C# that connects with my site will it be easier to do if I'm connecting with a .net languages (ASP .net) rather than PHP?

Not really, because you can just write a web service and you don't need a specific platform or technology to do that. There are lots of articles on how to do that with both PHP and ASP.NET.

Thanks, I understand.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

DiscountAsp.NET

They charge me 15 US dollars a month. I get POP accounts, SQL Server accounts (I connect directly using tools on my desktop, not a web-based interface), and a decent amount of Bandwidth.

Not bad, if you ask me.

• User profile image
    arun_coorg

HI ,

Have a look on godaddy.com providing windows and php with affortable pricing. Its a good one with very good Customer service.  I was in brinkster(which never served my purpose) before but later moved to godaddy. 

Godaddy do have most of good features for developers at

Webhosting&Servers ->Hosting plans ->deluxe plans

Have a look. It could be of some help.

Cheerz,

Arun
    Dream That Change Live's Smiley

• User profile image
    PeterH

I'm currently using Eleven2. The prices are amazing and support is amazing. I email them with a query and get a reply 20 seconds later, plus any technical support I needed; literally.

The only problem is the lack of professionalism.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PeterH wrote:
    The only problem is the lack of professionalism.

Judging by their website's title, I see what you mean.

...and the site template just screams "we paid a photoshop kiddie from deviantart fifty bucks to do this!"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.