Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's next? Orcas - when?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Some might think: "what is he talking about? VS2005 is next!"... And yes, I know... but...

What comes next after VS2005? Previously Microsoft has stated that Orcas (post VS2005 release) would be targeted the new functions in Longhorn (WinFX, Aero and all the other names we have to get used to). But will it be targeted Longhorn Server (Windows Server 2007?) or Windows Vista?

So when .NET framework 2.5 comes out in Vista with Avalon and Indigo, will it be supporting IIS7? Or will Vista have the same IIS as Windows Server 2003? Will it have an IIS? Are we going to see a refresh of VS2005 (a version 8.1 like VS2003)? Or will it be Orcas? And what is next after Orcas (and don't say Hawaii - I don't buy it)...

All these questions are roaming in my head... Please help me get some peace of mind Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Is Orcas .NET 2.5?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

With the number of bugs that the VS team postponed in Whidbey, the next thing that they release after VS2005 had better be VS 2005 Service Pack 1.

• User profile image
    El Bruno

JChung2006 wrote:

With the number of bugs that the VS team postponed in Whidbey, the next thing that they release after VS2005 had better be VS 2005 Service Pack 1.

100% Agree
    and maybe a couple of months later, SP2

(VSTS CTP is planned for 2006 ... Big Smile)

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

I think that I remember something about .NET Framework 2.0 with WinFX in it will be versioned 2.5. But I might remember wrong...

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

MS says they have Whidbey under control and the quality will be great. It remains to be seen, but there are plenty of posts regarding that issue. This thread was intended to look beyond Whidbey...

• User profile image
    athan

Whidbey, Orcas, Longhorn, .NET .... Perplexed
    Sometimes I missed those old days when a single-disk(ette) C compiler was all the tools we need.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Whidbey isn't ready, at least if Beta 2 is any indication.

I hope we see a refresh of VS 2005.  That's why I was talking about VS 2005 Service Pack 1.

IIS 7.0 will be part of Windows Vista.Since Windows Vista isn't due to go live any time soon (late 2006 at the earliest), the next version of Visual Studio will target it.

There is another interesting product coming out called Expression Studio aka Acrylic.  It generates XAML (Avalon's lingua franca) and is targeted at Flash developers and graphics designers.

The version of Visual Studio after that will likely have the next iterations of the current .NET languages (C# 3.0, VB.NET, Managed C++).  I speculate that it might also include support for more dynamic languages like Python and F#.  I'll also speculate that they're going to merge the Web/desktop development model since Avalon is essentially declarative GDI+/Windows Forms/DirectX markup that could be served up with ASP.NET and IIS.

And while we're in the speculative future-looking mood, I'll speculate that MS is going to make plenty of mistakes in Avalon and Indigo and that the next version of Visual Studio after the successor to Whidbey will target the next iteration of Avalon and Indigo.  Also, there won't be a 32-bit version of that release (64-bit only, maybe 128-bit).

Of course by then the desktop PC you're familiar with will seem antiquated.  Machines that require ridiculous heatsinks and fans will be laughable museum pieces, and we will all be using hand held PCs the size of the Pocket PCs of today whose display devices are 3D projectors instead of 2D flat screen LCDs.  The keyboards and mouses of today will be replaced by wireless headsets that will understand some (I need to watch my language)ized version of whatever language you happen to speak and wireless stylus/pen/glove/wand/thingamabob devices.

Windows won't even be called Windows any more, because most user interfaces will be 3-D, and "Windows" is a 2-D metaphor.  The Internet won't be called the Internet any more either but some cyberpunkish name like the "'verse" or the "Matrix" (a reference to an old 2005 "movie").

And despite all this "progress," programmers like me will still be bitching about bugs in the developer tools, because progress is no longer about making things more reliable or better, just newer...

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Whidbey July CTP is okay, sure there are bugs, but nothing that prevents me from making a smart client application using web services and Click Once Deployment. Maybe it is not all we ever wanted, but it is okay.

About IIS, XP shipped with a different ISS than Windows Server 2003, maybe it will be the same with Vista and Longhorn Server? So IIS 7 will be available with Longhorn server only?

Microsoft has said that Vista will come out in 2006 (and that is final).

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Klaus Enevoldsen wrote:
    What comes next after VS2005? Previously Microsoft has stated that Orcas (post VS2005 release) would be targeted the new functions in Longhorn

Orcas? Ha! For beginners!
    I won't settle for any development environment released this decade - Hawaii, here we come!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Whenever I hear people talking about Orcas, I always this of this Orcus (the D&D one).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sampy wrote:
    Whenever I hear people talking about Orcas, I always this of this Orcus (the D&D one).

I think of Free Willy for some reason.

...or the GDI Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.