Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSN installed itself again

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    tgraupmann

I uninstalled MSN-instant messenger because I use Trillian. But every once in a while a service pack or critical update installs it back. Drives me nuts.

And some critial update reinstalled it again. Drives me nuts. Just shows a security issue that spyware and msware can install itself on your machine as it pleases...

• User profile image
    Maurits

Tell me about it.  I can't count the number of times I've had to delete that stupid Outlook Express shortcut from my Quick Launch bar, too.  Or the "Customize" shortcut from the IE "Links" toolbar.

• User profile image
    brussell

I haven't had a problem with Outlook or IE (or MSN Messenger, but I don't uninstall it so wouldn't know if it is getting checked).
    Try going into Add/Remove Programs and then Windows Components. There are options for Outlook and MSN Messenger (It doesn't uninstall the program, but removes all the shortcuts).

That may help. I do that and haven't seen Outlook Express icons ever come back. Though I also use Outlook (the full thing) and maybe that keeps Outlook Express icons from coming back.

Hope something in there helps.

• User profile image
    Maurits

That does help, thanks Smiley

• User profile image
    brussell

Glad to hear it.
    I started removing Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, etc things in there because I was tired of seeing the shortcuts to them everywhere and I don't use them.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Question:

Why is MSN Explorer bundled with Windows XP Professional, and installed by default?

And more importantly, why hasn't the DoJ intervened about this?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.