Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Membership

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    itprochris

Does anyone know of a website where there are tutorials on how to setup the membership provider in asp.net 2.0, or is there a better way to deal with security?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    wacko
  • User profile image
    blowdart

itprochris wrote:
    Does anyone know of a website where there are tutorials on how to setup the membership provider in asp.net 2.0, or is there a better way to deal with security?

Thanks!

What sort of setup bits are you looking at? I've found all the on-line tutorials assumed you're going to be using SqlExpress, which was a PITA.

• User profile image
    itprochris

I don't know what you mean by that, I am trying to use Sql Express 2005 and asp.net for membership. The Asp.net web configuration tool does not  work, so I'd need to do it manually.

Thanks!

• User profile image
    figuerres

well I put in a bug report about the way they use the sql-express connection in the setup.

I have membership and roles working so far.

I had to remove and then replace the connection in the web config to get it to work.... it's stuck on the name of the connection.

my menu had to supply an xml menu provider that changes the way the default one works.

it was damm hard to get the default one to work right.

with a derived version I got it to work.

the wizard and other gui tools are a bit buggy so I used the command line tool to build my database.

I have it in this case puting the membership and roles tables in a database my app uses so that I can bridge my user info and the aspnet info... so far it all works..

• User profile image
    itprochris

So where does it make this 'database' from the Admin GUI? :O

• User profile image
    blowdart

itprochris wrote:
    So where does it make this 'database' from the Admin GUI?

Well I can tell you how to create it for Sql, rather than Sql Express, but I assume that's no help.

Do you have a database created in app_data? The default database setup is

data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true

So you will need to have a database called aspnetdb in your app_data directory. You would hope that the tables would get created automagically ...

MSDN has a walkthrough, which talks about how to set the database up, but as I'm not using Sql Express I have no idea how accurate it is.

• User profile image
    itprochris

I am very new to this. Can someone explain?... I don't have a default instance of 'sqlexpress' as the article requests, and when I try to add a new database in beta 2, it times out. Can someone explain... am I creating a new database when I do this, and where is it located...

thanks a bunch

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.