Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IIS has stopped working

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cpod

For some reason our IIS server has stopped working. The event log on the IIS machine contains the following errors, does anyone have any ideas?

Application pool 'DefaultAppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

and:

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '700'. The process exit code was '0xffffffff'

There a number of entries for the second error, all similar except the process ID.

I have no idea what has happened to the machine, everyone is denying all responsibility for breaking it.

Any help will be much appreciated as I really don't want to have to re-install the O/S.

Chris.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Create a new application pool, move each application to the new pool, testing it after each move.

Eventually you'll come accross a website that crashes the pool, move that website to its own pool.

HTH

• User profile image
    cpod

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that and the first moved didn't work so put it back in the default, moved another and that didn't work. Created a new virtual directory putting it in the new pool, that didn't work so our network administrator has taken it upon himself to remove IIS and re-install it. This was whilst I was at lunch, he started the uninstall about 30 minutes ago and the progress bar has moved about two blocks in this time.

I didn't want to go down this route if we could help it but he's started the uninstall now so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Chris.

• User profile image
    cpod

OK so our network admin has removed IIS and re-installed it, still no joy. He's now talking about flattening the machine.

Any other ideas?

• User profile image
    Xenon101

I suggest you take a look through the code before re-doing the entire box!

• User profile image
    cpod

Xenon101 wrote:
    I suggest you take a look through the code before re-doing the entire box!

What code?

Since re-installing IIS only one site was put back up with just a simple html page that displays "It Works!", but it doesn't work. Still the same errors in the event log.

• User profile image
    Xenon101

that's pretty screwed up i guess you'll just have to re-do it Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.