Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is C Sharp the Only Dot Net Language with a Future?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    a !
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

a ! wrote:

They say they take search engine results into account when calculating these graphics.

...that's enough to tell me not to pay any attention to this.

C# has only been around (properly) 3 years now, of course it's going to appear lower than Java or C++

As for VB... I can see it being replaced with XAML in the next 20 years for "proper" RAD work.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Maybe I should play with some PHP...

• User profile image
    ScaleOven​Stove

I dont think so. VB.net is just as good as C#. Its like coke and pepsi. People just have their own personal preference, but if you go somwhere and they have only coke and you like pepsi, you can still drink coke and be ok. C#, VB.Net, its all the same...

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

I tend to look at VB.net, Managed C++, and J# as porting languages. If you have an application in VB6, C++, or Java, it's slightly easier (but still a lot of work) to port it from that to the managed equivalent.

I forsee C# staying the predominant language for .NET development. C-Omega might also be of use, but only for small subsets of a project.

• User profile image
    athan

Although I never trusted online statistics, it looks that C# dominates .NET development, something that was expected I believe.

Microsoft did they best they can to push .NET development, even though managed applications are slow and bloated when compared to native ones. However, they call it "the future" development framework. For me, if my applications are going to a higher level because of .NET I'd prefer to use a "higher level" language than C++.

In that case C# is much better choice than VB, J# or others. It is fresh, readable, easy to learn and use, and with unsafe pointers gives more control when is necessary. However, I wouldn't say no to some more native support though Wink

I'm sure that C++/CLI will remain the Windows "system" programming language because of its low level nature, but desktop and web application development is a different story.

• User profile image
    Richard1975

Here we go Again!!!!

(This is just me whinging - I have to get it off my chest)

People, build a bridge and get over it. If the language you are developing works for YOU then go ahead and use it.

I get sick of tied of people starting language wars!!!! I also get really P*ssed off when dudes out there try to tell others of what they language they should or shouldn't be using.

Every language has its pros and cons.

Remember, they are our tools of our trade.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

C#, J#, and VB.NET are functionally equivalent for 90% of your .NET code.  I can't say that for certain with C++/CLI since I haven't worked with it, but I would venture to say that it is too.

They are all being supported for the foreseeable future (2005+9 years for standard MS support of developer products).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.