Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Automatic Updates jumping the gun

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Don't know whether to be happy or sad.

    The Automatic Updates service is prompting me to install the new updates it has so helpfully downloaded for me.

    But the official Security Bulletins for these updates are nowhere to be found!

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    I see... none of the updates are security related

    So there's a Malicious Software Removal tool update... fine...

    Is that the "one NON-SECURITY update"?  Or is there another one?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    No updates here on XP x64.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Upon closer reading there must be another update besides the Malicious Software Removal tool.  The advance notification specifically states that the MSR update WILL NOT be distributed via SUS, and that the "one NON-SECURITY" update WILL be distributed via SUS.

    Sven, depending on the alignment of the stars, I usually find that I have to allow 48 hours for Automatic Updates to kick in Smiley  Or check the Microsoft Update site to be extra sure.

  • User profile image
    Cider

    Maurits wrote:
    Don't know whether to be happy or sad.

    The Automatic Updates service is prompting me to install the new updates it has so helpfully downloaded for me.

    But the official Security Bulletins for these updates are nowhere to be found!


    Yes, there were no security bulletins.  There was a single critical patch for this Patch Tuesday, but it was pulled due to failing QA.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Maurits wrote:
    Upon closer reading there must be another update besides the Malicious Software Removal tool.  The advance notification specifically states that the MSR update WILL NOT be distributed via SUS, and that the "one NON-SECURITY" update WILL be distributed via SUS.

    Sven, depending on the alignment of the stars, I usually find that I have to allow 48 hours for Automatic Updates to kick in Smiley  Or check the Microsoft Update site to be extra sure.

    I did wuauclt /detectnow and it detected nothing.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Weirder and weirder:
    "
    Updated: September 13, 2005

    The next Security Bulletin Advance Notification is scheduled for September 6, and will outline information for the October 11, 2005 security bulletin release.
    "

    s/September 6/October 6/ I suppose.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Cider wrote:
    Yes, there were no security bulletins.  There was a single critical patch for this Patch Tuesday, but it was pulled due to failing QA.


    I have decided to be happy, then Smiley

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Maurits wrote:
    Cider wrote: Yes, there were no security bulletins.  There was a single critical patch for this Patch Tuesday, but it was pulled due to failing QA.


    I have decided to be happy, then

    Then it makes sense there was nothing on XP x64, since it doesn't get the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.