Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSDN Subscriber Download Synchronization?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    barogers

So I had this wacky idea. Let me give you a little background.

This year, we finally got Universal subs for all our developers. Unfortunately, IT tells us that for some screwy sales tax reasoning related to our volume license agreement, we can't get any media.

So, we're stuck downloading from Subscriber Downloads at the 30KB/s that our connection can muster. (In fact, most of us download things at home and bring them in, because even with the overnight stay at home, big downloads like the CTPs still finish faster than with our pathetic work connection.)

Here's my thought. Would it be possible to build a local server system that would keep itself synchronized with Subscriber Downloads? I know this wouldn't help with first day availability for new items, but it would keep our less-commonly-used tools up to date.

• User profile image
    David7738

barogers wrote:
    So I had this wacky idea. Let me give you a little background.

This year, we finally got Universal subs for all our developers. Unfortunately, IT tells us that for some screwy sales tax reasoning related to our volume license agreement, we can't get any media.

So, we're stuck downloading from Subscriber Downloads at the 30KB/s that our connection can muster. (In fact, most of us download things at home and bring them in, because even with the overnight stay at home, big downloads like the CTPs still finish faster than with our pathetic work connection.)

Here's my thought. Would it be possible to build a local server system that would keep itself synchronized with Subscriber Downloads? I know this wouldn't help with first day availability for new items, but it would keep our less-commonly-used tools up to date.

I think you IT Dept is full of it but I disgress..

Is/Are these files available via FTP?  If so, a simple syncronization agent would do it just fine. Are you using the Microsoft Download Engine ??  Or do you want to make up a WEB 2.0 App. That screen scrapes the download area web pages and makes up a local screen (like how people use Amazon data) and you then make the web RSS compliant so you can use the XML data to grab the enclosures?

As an aside I finally remembered the apps that I used before the WWW .... Archie and Gopher!

• User profile image
    AndyC

David7738 wrote:

I think you IT Dept is full of it but I disgress..

Not necessarily. If they were bought on an Open Licence you don't get the media shipped, you have to download it. Quite why your IT department can't download things and provide access from a local server is beyond me though...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.