Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A question about the difference between VS 05 Standard and Professional editions.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    The​Programmer

A question about the difference between VS 05 Standard and Professional editions:

Is the compiler the same between standard and professional editions?

Thanks

• User profile image
    BenRush

Yes, the core is exactly the same. The difference is in the tools that comes with.

• User profile image
    BlackTigerX

...the compiler is actually free, they only sell you the Visual Studio (IDE)

• User profile image
    The​Programmer

I know it is free, but I bet the 64-bit compiler is not. Since on its website, it's specifically stated that the standard edition does not have 64-bit compiler support. Tongue Out

Besides, it doesn't seem to have a hugh difference between the standard edition and the professional edition, but the price gap is hugh. So, I was just wondering.

• User profile image
    Maurits

TheProgrammer wrote:
    I bet the 64-bit compiler is not. Since on its website, it's specifically stated that the standard edition does not have 64-bit compiler support. Tongue Out

Hmmm...
    Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 -- no specific mention of 64-bit
    Visual C++ 2005 Runtime Libraries Package Beta 2 -- explicitly does support 64-bit

But no Visual C++ Toolkit 2005?  Maybe once VS2005 is out of beta?

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I'm not exactly that knowledgeable on this subject, but perhaps the Standard edition doesn't have support for the 64 bit compiler because Microsoft wants you to invest a bit more money before they'll allow you to develop for the 64 bit platform using their IDE? It just wouldn't make sense to have a free 32 bit platform compiler yet charge for a 64 bit platform compiler?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.