Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's needed to run XAMLpad?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    RaiN

What is required to run XAMLpad.exe?

I got an exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException.

I have installed: WinFX Runtime (from PDC - Beta 2), WinFX SDK Beta 1, VS 2003 and VS 2005 b2.

Microsoft Max works perfectly, XAMLpad not [C]

What else should i install?

• User profile image
    andokai

If you have max installed that means you have the winfx runtime september 2005 ctp. if you want xamlpad and indeed any project you build with visual studio you'll need the september 2005 ctp sdk

• User profile image
    RaiN

OK, i'm downloading it.

But last night i downloaded WinFX Beta 1 SDK and now comes out that it was a waste of time...

Thanks for answer!

• User profile image
    David7738

RaiN wrote:

What is required to run XAMLpad.exe?

I got an exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException.

I have installed: WinFX Runtime (from PDC - Beta 2), WinFX SDK Beta 1, VS 2003 and VS 2005 b2.

Microsoft Max works perfectly, XAMLpad not

What else should i install?

Which did you install first? It appears that Max uses an updated WinFX Core (Beta 2 vs RC1)

• User profile image
    andokai

No problem, oh and don't forget to get the WinFX extensions for Visual Studio 2005.

• User profile image
    RaiN

David7738 wrote:

Which did you install first? It appears that Max uses an updated WinFX Core (Beta 2 vs RC1)

Yes, Max uses WinFX Runtime September CTP.

At first i installed WinFX Runtime September CTP, then i wanted to test my skills experimenting with XAMLpad but it was included with WinFX SDK. The most recent SDK that i found on Microsoft Downloads website was Beta 1 SDK from August 2005. I thought they didn't released September CTP SDK... and i was wrong. Nothing wanted to compile with WinFX Runtime Sept CTP and Beta 1 SDK. Even applications written in any previous versions of WinFX crashed.

Oh, finally i managed to run XAMLpad by repairing the installation of Avalon v6.0.4030. But then Microsoft Max refused to work because it required Avalon v6.0.5070...

Now i'm downloading WinFX SDK September CTP and i hope it will work Smiley

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

As far as I know, Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 is only compatible with the WinFX build that was released with it. There are so many CTP's floating around right now that I can't keep track of anything anymore. Hopefully the CTP Madness site will be updated soon.

Anyways... perhaps what you need to do Kheldar is either revert back to the older WinFX/.NET Runtime release, or upgrade to the latest Visual Studio 2005 RC Release.

• User profile image
    Kheldar

Slightly on the same topic but not aimed at XAMLPad ...

Installed - Studio 2003, Studio 2005 B2, WinFX SDK (Sept CTP)

Every time I try to open a sample FX project I get an error telling me Microsoft.WinFX.Targets is missing or invalid. I looked in the v2.0.50215 folder which it refers to and it is not there.

So I installed the Studio integration package and tried to create an Avalon project. Each time I get a different error about the folder "Documents and Settings\MY ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Temp\tmpXX.tmp\Temp" being in use by another application. The folder is differently named (the XX part) each time.

Any one got any ideas? I'm dying to get coding! Smiley

• User profile image
    Kheldar

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried going back but it was too late and the errors remain. I will see if RC is on MSDN tomorrow at work but failing that I think I might be waiting till release or I nuke the PC whichever comes first Smiley

• User profile image
    andokai

Tyler Brown wrote:
    As far as I know, Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 is only compatible with the WinFX build that was released with it. There are so many CTP's floating around right now that I can't keep track of anything anymore. Hopefully the CTP Madness site will be updated soon.

Anyways... perhaps what you need to do Kheldar is either revert back to the older WinFX/.NET Runtime release, or upgrade to the latest Visual Studio 2005 RC Release.

I'm afraid that is just plain untrue. VS 2005 Beta 2 is the only version that works with the September CTP of WinFX.

Ok in the hope of clearing this up once and for all I'll explicitly state all that's required in the order they should be installed.

1. Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2
    2. WinFX Runtime September CTP
    3. WinFX SDK September CTP (x86 or x64)
    4. Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for VS 2005 September CTP.

• User profile image
    Kheldar

WHOOPS! Please forgive my dumb a** mistake, I hadnt installed the run times, presumed they were shipped with the SDK. Installed them and it all works spot on Smiley

Thanks!

• User profile image
    Toolmaker​Steve

My Xamlpad also won't run - bombs likewise with System.IO.FileNotFoundException.  Debugger fails to attach to it, so I can't see more details.

I'm trying to use C# Express Beta 2, since I don't have a current developer subscription to get the full Vis Studio.
    But its built on the same core, so I was hoping it would work.

=> Anyone else got this working with the => express <= versions?

Details:

Win XP Pro with SP2  [also tried on a 2nd PC running XP Home/SP2]

.Net Framework 2.0 Beta 2

=> C# Express Beta 2, Build 50215.44 <=

WinFX September CTP

WinFX SDK (50215.45)

VisStud 2005 Extensions for WinFX

• User profile image
    Toolmaker​Steve

oops - my bad: the WinFX SDK version I was running was the "Beta 1", all the other pieces were from "Sept CTP".  Not sure how I made that mistake...

Uninstalled SDK, installed the Sept CTP SDK; then reinstalled the VisStud Extensions for WinFX.

Result - XAMLPad runs fine with C# Express Beta 2.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.